Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tow hook mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tow hook mount

Hey guys, i just bought a 92 cherokee limited and was crawling around underneath the other day. i found what looks like a stock tow hook mount without a tow hook but i'm not sure, i was hooping someone might be able to tell me if it is a stock mount and if i can attach a hook here. Thanks

There is a cut out on each side where it looks like a hook would come through below the bumper, the jagged cut is right below the bump outs on the bumper
Tow hook mount-img_0920.jpg

Holes about 1 1/4" center to center.
Tow hook mount-img_0919.jpg

the bracket, looks like it would be attached to the subframe or whatever you call it(if there were bolts) and braced back to another part of the sub frame, that's the only bolt holding it on now. (Top of pic is front of truck where tape was coming through)
Tow hook mount-img_0918.jpg

Thanks for any input.

In case you're interested, i will be doing a build thread eventually, just getting started and wanted to have a hook on the front until i get a proper bumper with some nice tow points.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Year: 93 aka tigger R.I.P.
Engine: 4.0

it looks to me like someone had tow hooks on it at some point or a tow bar for behind an rv
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 PM

I guess it could be, the previous owner didn't say anything about towing it and she had it since 94.

The bracket is missing on the passenger side but the one in the pictures on the driver side looks like if i put some grade 8 bolts with a hook it could be pretty strong. I heard some cherokees came with stock tow hooks and i was thinking it had something to do with that.

What do you think about putting a hook there 'just in case' until i get a proper bumper some time this summer?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

i think if you use that as a tow hook bracket you can say good bye to anything in the radius of that bracket cause the slightest bit of side pull and that thing is gunna turn and tear up your valence, and if i recall that hole that its bolted through is no more then sheet metal, and 1 bolt is not nearly enough of an attachment point, stock brackets use the 3 bumper bolts plus one other bolt through the subframe.

i have posted blue prints of a tow hook bracket that is a clone of the OEM piece.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/to...-mount-117657/
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 AM

Haha no I would never pull on it like that.. I'm talking putting a couple of grade 8 bolts through a tow hook, that bracket and the matching holes above into the sub frame (as you can see in the top picture). And I'm pretty sure the bolt holding it currently goes through more than just sheet metal but you can't see. I'm not totally stupid, it looks pretty strong or I wouldn't even consider it.

Has anybody seen this set up before?

Last edited by GBuch; 01-29-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: English
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

i gunna say brushguard/pushbar type mount/bracket.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 AM

anybody else have an opinion on putting a hook here? i'll probably just order some up but it would be nice if this setup was strong enough
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Pretty sure you would want a tow hook pretty much lined up with the frame rail. Forces can go real high. (picture the slack pulling out of a chain attached to a full sized truck). Most parts of the Jeep would simply leave attached to the truck.