Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

too many problems all at once, need some advice

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default too many problems all at once, need some advice

hello all, as stated in the title i had too many problems come about at once and now im worried. first problem was my brake lights went out, changed the brake sensor and a bunch of worn out fuses, only one fuse was broke but some just looked old so i changed them and the brake lights work. now the back up lights are not working and when i jiggle the shifter in reverse i get nothing. and sometimes while listening to the stereo i it appears to fade to a little softer volume (barely noticeable). now away from electrical to heating. my engine was running hot so i went ahead and changed the thermastat and the gasket but it has a very small almost insignificant leak at the bottom of the thermastat housing but i did just buy some high-temp red rtv silicone gasket maker and will apply that when i get the time. but anyway back to the matter at hand since i changed the thermastat (which was right before the electrical problems) i have not had good heating it feels luke warm at best just enough not to see my breath while driving, and also the first three speeds of the fan control do not work either. and last but not least when driving on the highway i noticed that my rpm's are running higher then they should like normally i would be around 2000 rpm's at 65 now it was almost 3000 rpm's at the same speed, i put some stp fuel system cleaner and i went back down almost immediatly. i gunned it a lil while later to get past someone who was going only and the rpm's stayed high agian................... Welp there is the long list of whats wrong and i have no idea where to start, please some advice would be nice......................... P.S. i apologize for all the gramatical errors and probably being too wordy.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Year: 1996

Others will jump in here with suggestions, but I think I would start with when you first noticed a lot of problems and double check myself on the fuses. You indicated that you changed and whole bunch of fuses. Are you certain that you got each fuse back correctly? Did you replace each one with the correct size? Are you certain that they are all in tight?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM

yeah i tripled check and made sure i pressed them in firmly cause i didnt want to make that kind of mistake but i will check again just for a little piece of mind
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

If you find your problem but need a lil info I have access to the factory pdf's and can get you the electrical diagrams you need.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 PM

just wanted to let you all know i have not had really any progress, and soon ill just post up every single electricle problem an see if that helps...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ivie_2006
If you find your problem but need a lil info I have access to the factory pdf's and can get you the electrical diagrams you need.
can i have those diagrams please
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

http://greatlakesxj.com/tech.html downlowd ur year
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heater fan is not working because you need a new resistor:
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...acement-11133/

Are you sure you installed the new thermostat correctly? The spring side goes toward the engine. Also you may have air in the coolant system.
Read this thread:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/heater-issues-31913/

Your profile dosen't say if you have an auto transmission but if you do this might help your RPM problem:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Reverse Lights are controled by the Netural Saftey Switch. Switches go bad, connectors corrod, and inside the tranny can fail to push the switch as well. Replacing fuses cause they are old is a waste of money and time a fuse is a fuse reguardless of how old they are. The heating issue could be that you bought a 185 thremostat instead of a 195. As far as your fan speed controls, 9 times out of 10 it is your Blower Motor resistor, I am going to guess that you have High but the lower speeds don't work, if that is the cause my money is on the Resistor. And as far as the RPM goes, it sounds like a Trans shift issue, I forget if Jeeps have Overdrive or how many gears your trans has, but it sounds like it isn't going into the last gear, which would cause for the rpm on the engine to be higher then normal. I would suggest you replaced the trans filter and fluid before you start to tear things apart, a good flush can clean out the valve body and help with shifting.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck solving your problems r-meece?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

*I agree with textherex. You have a neutral safety switch problem. Try refurbishing it. Here is a link. It can restore full function. Definitely suspect the NSS with backup light issues.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

*What is the coolant temp gauge reading on the dash? Cab heat is simply a byproduct of engine heat. The target is 200-210. If you are in that area, your stat is okay and you should concentrate on either a partially clogged heater core, or a blend door problem. Flushing the heater core may or may not help, but it is usually worth the effort. SEARCH.

*Tolerate NO coolant leaks. Especially on a 00-01 where unexplained drop in coolant can indicate a cracked 0331 cylinder head. Fix the leak.

*You may not be dropping into "overdrive". Confirm this.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM

thanks for all the advice, i have not been able to do any of the things recommended yet due to the crap weather we just got my xj was covered in almost .5 inch of ice not to mention the additional snow around it. isnt the nss a pain in the A$$ to change? i remember reading about it on here and dang near everyone complained about changing it.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
*I agree with textherex. You have a neutral safety switch problem. Try refurbishing it. Here is a link. It can restore full function. Definitely suspect the NSS with backup light issues.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

*What is the coolant temp gauge reading on the dash? Cab heat is simply a byproduct of engine heat. The target is 200-210. If you are in that area, your stat is okay and you should concentrate on either a partially clogged heater core, or a blend door problem. Flushing the heater core may or may not help, but it is usually worth the effort. SEARCH.

*Tolerate NO coolant leaks. Especially on a 00-01 where unexplained drop in coolant can indicate a cracked 0331 cylinder head. Fix the leak.

*You may not be dropping into "overdrive". Confirm this.
my temp is staying between straight verticle and the notch to the left i have yet to have it go straight verticle or beyond since i changed the stat.
as far as not changing in to overdrive i think thats it because i really only notice the high rpm's when im on the highway. i used to be around 2100 rpm's when going 65-70 now im around 3100, and it almost instantly stops when i put stp fuel system cleaner in it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM

ok so i noticed that after i drive for a lil while if i stop, turn off the car then restart it an take off the rpms go back to normal. so im thinking it has to warm up first for some reason i dont really understand why.