Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tightening Drive Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tightening Drive Belt?

Seems that the serpentine/fan belt on my 1994 XJ 4.0 HO is referred to in my Haynes manual as a "drive belt". OK. But I can't seem to be able to tighten the belt by using the adjusting screw. It looks like it is designed so that I can relieve tension but can't increase tension by turning the screw. Am I missing something? Still gotta use a crow bar or something in order to hold the PS pump against the belt while tightening the pivot bolt and the two bolts in the back of the PS pump. Does that sound right? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

I have a renix not a ho, but on mine I have to loosen two front bolts and two back bolts on the power steering to allow the pump to move, then tighten or loosen the adjuster bolt then tighten all the bolts back up to make sure nothing moves. I always take 1 minute to take the electric fan out to have tons of room for a ratchet in the front. The bolt has worked great for me with no need for a prybar.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Did you try reversing the order that you are tightening the two bolts? I did mine last year so it's not fresh in my mind, but I do recall that I was simply trying to crank the wrong bolt down first.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ljobbins
I have a renix not a ho,
Then your input isn't relevant.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

From memory: There are 2 or 3 13mm head bolts that you need to loosen off at the front and rear of the power steering pump casing. Only then can you tighten or loosen the adjuster bolt.

You can find your factory service manual here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/
Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Then your input isn't relevant.
Yeah, it is. Same procedure, I think.

Last edited by F1Addict; 05-25-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 AM

Thanks for all the input guys but still not getting me there. If I loosen the two bolts in the back of the pump and the pivot bolt at the top front, I can turn the adjuster bolt CW which will swing the bottom of the pump IN and loosen the belt. But if I turn the bolt CCW, as if to swing the bottom of the pump OUT to tighten the belt, the only thing that happens is that the adjuster bolt screws out and the pump doesn't move. It's as if there needs to be a c-clip on the adjuster just inside of the bracket that it goes thru so it can PUSH (loosen belt) when you turn it CW and PULL (tighten belt) when you turn it CCW. I'll take another look today.

AND TO ALL YOU MILITARY SERVICE GUYS OUT THERE, THANK YOU FOR THE SACRIFICES YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES MAKE TO KEEP THIS GREAT LAND THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:40 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

The adjuster should be captive as you mention. If the adjuster cannot be fixed or replaced, try using a prybar to gently assist moving the steering pump. Use the steel brackets, do not pry on manifold or pump itself.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The adjuster should be captive as you mention. If the adjuster cannot be fixed or replaced, try using a prybar to gently assist moving the steering pump. Use the steel brackets, do not pry on manifold or pump itself.
That's it Bro, the adjuster is not CAPTIVE. If it really were, it would be a great system but under the circumstances, I have to resort to the cave-man approach and get a 2x4. Seems dumb as hell though. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

First like F1 mentioned, they may well be the same, Renix through 96.

IIRC, "Righty Tighty" Clockwise on the adjuster to tighten. Is yours like this, and did you loosen that bolt that's tucked up right under the pulley?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-26-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
First like F1 mentioned, they may well be the same, Renix through 96.

IIRC, "Righty Tighty" Clockwise on the adjuster to tighten. Is yours like this, and did you loosen that bolt that's tucked up right under the pulley?

Yes sir, l sure did. Loosened all 4 as shown. By doing that, I can easily swing the pump in and out to tighten or loosen the belt, then re-tighten the bolts. But turning the adjuster at that point has no effect since the thing it's screwed into is sliding also. It seems that if the adjuster was captive, as mentioned earlier AND the very bottom bolt in front view was NOT loosened, by turning the adjuster CCW it would bring the bottom of the pump out and tighten the belt. Problem is, the adjuster is NOT captive and it just screws out when I turn it CCW. At that point I can move the pump by hand out to the new position of the adjuster but the adjuster itself isn't the thing moving the pump. Hope that makes sense. I think it would work if there was a c-clip or something on the adjuster just inside the bracket it goes thru so it can pull against that when turned CCW to tighten the belt.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm at a loss. Maybe someone with a better memory who has been there more recently can chime in...I'm wondering if " the thing it's screwed into is sliding also", if that (barrel?)might need that nut/bolt loose, but not too loose? That's all I've got, I ain't digging into mine to see!

Well, that said I went and took a look. It seems I never tightened my lower bolt! Pretty plain here that holds the block that the adjuster bolt goes through. I'm not 100% positive this Renix design goes to 96 though.

Wait.. it wasn't me! This White 90, the PO's shop messed up everything they touched, including not tightening that bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Tightening Drive Belt?-100_9950.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-26-2015 at 08:45 PM.