Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

thermomteter and oil gauges broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default thermomteter and oil gauges broken

Okay, so I just realized that not too long ago that my thermostat gage on my dash (96 Cherokee sport) isn't responding. the needle doesn't move at all. The thermostat was replaced a couple of months ago. I don't know exactly when it stopped working. My oil gauge is completely shot as well. Before it would bounce back and fourth and now it doesn't move at all. I checked the oil and it's fine. What can I do to get both of these gauges working again?

Also, something completely off the topic. I should start a new thread for this, but you've already read this far so I might as well throw it out there. I drove about 130 miles in july down to Philly. I had the AC on the whole way down there. Once i got to philly, i noticed the air from the AC was coming out really hot, almost as if I had the heat turned on. I turned off the car since I was already at my destination, and i was walking away from my car, i see this massive shower of antifreeze coming from under the hood. The hood was burning hot (it was about 100 degress that day). After burning my fingers i managed to get the hood up. None of the antifreeze was coming from and hoses. It was pouring out of the cannister near the engine. It was boiling inside the cannister and pouring out from the top. It almost looked like a boiling pot of steaming water. The lid of the antifreeze cannister had popped up and all the antifreeze was spilling out of the cannister. I let the engine cool down and since then it hasn't leaked. Can anyone diagnose this as well? Any input to all three problems will be very,very helpful!