Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temp. gauge lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Temp. gauge lighting up

Even though the title is fairly simple and self explanatory, the problem that i am having is with my engine temp. First, i am rolling in a 1996 jeep cherokee that is stock for now except for the addition of an exhaust. So far i have replaced the oil pan and gasket, and replaced the intermediate pipe, the stock cat with a magnaflow hi-flo cat and the stock muffler with a flowmaster super 44.

The problem is this: about a week ago i drove my car to work at o dark thirty in the morning and she ran like a champ. I left work around 2:15p and it was hotter than hell. Got stuck in some stop and go traffic on I-95 (nothing unusual) and decided to turn the ac on. Had never used the AC before this. after running for about 2-4 mins i noticed that my temperature gauge was lit up red. So i turned the ac off and moved the air over to heat and sat and sweat like a pig to disapate the heat from the engine. Seemed to do the trick, but the gauge later lit up againas i was still trying to get home, this time without the AC running. Finally got home and checked the coolant level and it was still good. Drove the car later that weekend on sunday and it was fine, but then the gauge lit up again, again with no AC running and on a much cooler day than Friday was. it eventually went away. All through this ordeal, the car never died on me, sputtered, or made any weird sort of noises or notification that i was in trouble, aside from the temp. gauge lighting up red like a xmas tree.

I have purchased a new 190 (believe that is stock temp for thermostats for 96 xj) failsafe thermostat, as well as a new gasket. any other ideas as to what might be causing the gauge to light up? I have checked my radiator fluid constantly and it is good. Only other thing i have not really checked is to verify that the electric fan is coming on like it should.

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to make sure i covered all the information. Please be patient with me as i am a noob to posting and to jeep ownership, but am catching the mod bug quickly!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

The E-fan should start as soon as the AC is turned on ('96) and also when temp reaches 218*F.

Is the fan clutch noticeably more resistant when hot vs cool?

Has the coolant been changed and radiator flushed recently? Water pump replaced?

Is it losing coolant?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

If u replace all of the cooling system components at once, u only have to drain/refill coolant once and eliminate the guess work.

+/-$250 gets u new:

Radiator & cap
Water pump
T-stat & cover
Fan clutch
Hoses
Belt
3 gals of 50/50 coolant

A six pack and 3-4 hours later, I'll bet it's a long time before u see the temp light again.

Last edited by djb383; 06-16-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Thanks for the help so far guys...So far i have replaced the radiator and at the same time flushed old coolant and added new, as well as a new cap. the thermostat and gasket are getting replaced this weekend. the hoses were replaced when the radiator was replaced. I have not replaced the belt, fan clutch, or water pump. Fluid is also brand new. Not sure where exactly the fan clutch is at, sorry i am a severe noob with the jeeps, but learning as i go.

I have not actually verified that the E-fan comes on when the AC is on, something i am also going to test tonight or this weekend. There is also no loss of coolant, at least no visible leaks that i can see on the road or noticed after checking coolant levels periodically. The engine has 151xxx original miles on it, so i'm sure most parts need to be upgraded or replaced which i am completely fine with. I guess it will be a simple process of elimination for now, but please keep coming with suggestions.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

The fan clutch is what the belt driven fan is attached to. Is it possible the water pump has 151K miles on it?

Last edited by djb383; 06-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by djb383
If u replace all of the cooling system components at once, u only have to drain/refill coolant once and eliminate the guess work.

+/-$250 gets u new:

Radiator & cap
Water pump
T-stat & cover
Fan clutch
Hoses
Belt
3 gals of 50/50 coolant

A six pack and 3-4 hours later, I'll bet it's a long time before u see the temp light again.
I'm about to replace all the cooling system components in my 1998 Cherokee SE. By thermostat cover do you mean the T-stat housing? Why does it need to be replaced?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

The cover/housing possibly/probably doesn't need to be changed but it has a flat sealing surface that mates with the flat sealing surface on the head. Inspect the sealing surface on the old cover/housing for signs of pitting/cracks. If it looks good, re-use it. They're really cheap and a new one has a good sealing surface.

I cant emphasize enough....use a new gasket with thin coating of RTV on both sided of gasket and JUST SNUG on the bolts. Overtighting will warp/crack the cover/housing everytime.

Last edited by djb383; 06-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

+/-$250 gets u new:

Radiator & cap
Water pump
T-stat & cover
Fan clutch
Hoses
Belt
3 gals of 50/50 coolant

Forget the 50/50 mix. Your paying them for diluted antifreeze? Forget that.

Stop at the grocery store and pick up some distilled water at 69 cents a gallon when you grab that 6 pack.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Forget the 50/50 mix. Your paying them for diluted antifreeze? Forget that.

Stop at the grocery store and pick up some distilled water at 69 cents a gallon when you grab that 6 pack.
U could do that 2, but don't ever stop at a convenience store or waste gas in a drive-thru either. LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

U could do that 2, but don't ever stop at a convenience store or waste gas in a drive-thru either. LOL
Bit different, but sure, its a great idea to pay for diluted antifreeze.