Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

swaybar delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default swaybar delete

got mixed answers on whether or not it is illegal to do a swaybar delete in PA. anybody know for certain...i want to remove the brackets and everything, front and rear. any input is appreciated...dd with 3" and 31's
oh and my sway bar links are bent too and i know some people say to always connect the swaybar onroad...i dont really see why tho
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the laws in PA, but you can delete the rear with no problem, as for the front you should leave it connected when driving on roads just incase you have to swerve all of a sudden it will be very hard to control.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. driving on the road without a front swaybar is stupid. i had a friend have a deer walk out in front of him. he didnt swerve, just hit it, still ended up losing control and rolled and was hospitalized. dont have wildlife to worry about? what about children in a neighborhood? you goin to hit one or swerve? how about people that cant drive for crap? its not safe and it only takes 30 seconds to pull two disco pins when you hit the trail.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

Originally Posted by DirtyKK
i agree. driving on the road without a front swaybar is stupid. i had a friend have a deer walk out in front of him. he didnt swerve, just hit it, still ended up losing control and rolled and was hospitalized. dont have wildlife to worry about? what about children in a neighborhood? you goin to hit one or swerve? how about people that cant drive for crap? its not safe and it only takes 30 seconds to pull two disco pins when you hit the trail.
X2 on this it is dangerous in sudden movement like maybe a ball goes in the street and the child runs out for it . That could be a bad situation
Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

i agree. driving on the road without a front swaybar is stupid. i had a friend have a deer walk out in front of him. he didnt swerve, just hit it, still ended up losing control and rolled and was hospitalized. .
must of been a huge deer if it flipped a jeep
Old 06-25-2011, 08:03 PM

I removed my rear when I did my lift in '00. Handles as well as my Porsche 996 Turbo...well almost.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

haven't had a sway bar in mine since like the second day i got it. have already had to swerve for various reasons and it was just fine. didn't roll nothing bad happened kept control. ranger is worse it has ZJ coils and they are still to flexy for the truck. no sways in that either. nothing bad has happened due to no sway bars.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995

Ive had it both ways and I prefer having front sway bar. It makes driving much easier to control in windy roads. Ive heard you can get sued if you wreck into someone without swaybars but I havent actually heard of any stories
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by War Eagle
must of been a huge deer if it flipped a jeep

Maybe your PA sized deer arent the same as the corn fed Iowa deer then. Doesnt matter what one person says. I give you good reasons not to do it and another person will say theyve ran without for years. The decision is ultimately up to you.

You could read the PA statutes for yourself or call your insurance company and see if they would cover you in the instance of a crash.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe your PA sized deer arent the same as the corn fed Iowa deer then. Doesnt matter what one person says. I give you good reasons not to do it and another person will say theyve ran without for years. The decision is ultimately up to you.

You could read the PA statutes for yourself or call your insurance company and see if they would cover you in the instance of a crash.
i am okay with removing it...just want to make sure its lega and i cant find anything that says its illegal...pa deer get pretty big too
Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

I have mine removed but I'm putting it back in... You guys make a good point, it really does only take a few seconds to disco - might save someones life.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

I removed the rear ASAP, and when I did the front axle swap, I never re-connected the front one, been running it for about a month now. Its not that bad, but I think ill eventually make some discos for it. Running ZJ coils help a bit as they are a little stiffer than XJ stuff.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

last time i told someone on here to leave it on due to severe steering issues at high speeds i was yelled at by the whole thread. then i said screw you hope you roll with your whole family in it. Mine are on even the rear at the moment im gonna remove it drive it day and decide myself. i know leave the front. There is a reason why they only make front swaybar disconnects and not rears also
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM

Engine: 5.2L

well a rear sway is pretty useless, especially with leaf springs. my truck didnt even come with one.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

just saying you are in a top heavy suv it has a higher possibility of rolling. still haven't rolled mine no sway bars. if you know how to drive even under bad circumstances you shouldn't roll with or without sways.

Quick Reply: swaybar delete