Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stupidest question ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stupidest question ....

Since my recent XJ purchase, I am remembering the stupid things Jeep/AMC/Chrysler have done over the past 40 yrs !
I am trying to adjust the swing of the driver's windshield wiper arm --
1) This Jeep is the ONLY vehicle that I have owned that you can not just pull the arm and get it out of the way of the windshield without having to get a screwdriver or small piece of wood to flip the little arm lock that only gets it about 1 inch away from the windshield
2) To adjust (arm) a NORMAL vehicle such as a Toyota, Ford or Chevy, you just flip to little cover over the adjusting nut and loosen the nut, pop arm off and reslide it past one or more grooves to cover more/less of the window.

**** the rear wiper arm can be moved away from the window and also you can get to the adjusting nut by flipping the little cover.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ????

I do not want to strip the grooves in the wiper mechanism ...........

Randy
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

What's your question or are you just commenting on the structure of the mechanism?

If you want to adjust the position of the front arm, just pull it off and put it back on where you want it.

If the arm is loose and inconsistent in positioning, see previous threads about replacing wiper mechanism bushings.

Last edited by Pelican; 07-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

My wipers just pull straight off, nothing to it. Its not complicated, same as everything else I've ever had.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Wiper Arm "CAP"

The actual pivoting/hinging "cap" does not allow me to get to the nut.

I tried flipping it and both of them are stuck -- like the frozen bolts
under the body ..............

I used a big screwdriver with tape on it to pivot the cap and the entire arm
started coming off .

Randy
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I don't recall having to mess with a nut and kirknd seems to be saying the same thing, but if no one else comes up with a different description, I will look at mine tomorrow.

I assume these don't vary by year but it is always good to include your model year just in case.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Lift the wiper up as far as it will go, pull the small tab upward (use a screwdriver to help), let the wiper arm lock in place, wiggle it off since it probably has rusted onto the spline of the wiper motor arms.

No caps on them.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, there wasn't a nut on any of my wipers, front or rear. Just pulled straight off. The whole arm does come off, it has to in order to adjust it.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I can take pics if you want tomorrow lol
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Does bummerjeeper have a cousin?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Does bummerjeeper have a cousin?
LOL
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by RainShadow
Since my recent XJ purchase, I am remembering the stupid things Jeep/AMC/Chrysler have done over the past 40 yrs !
I am trying to adjust the swing of the driver's windshield wiper arm --
1) This Jeep is the ONLY vehicle that I have owned that you can not just pull the arm and get it out of the way of the windshield without having to get a screwdriver or small piece of wood to flip the little arm lock that only gets it about 1 inch away from the windshield
2) To adjust (arm) a NORMAL vehicle such as a Toyota, Ford or Chevy, you just flip to little cover over the adjusting nut and loosen the nut, pop arm off and reslide it past one or more grooves to cover more/less of the window.

**** the rear wiper arm can be moved away from the window and also you can get to the adjusting nut by flipping the little cover.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ????

I do not want to strip the grooves in the wiper mechanism ...........

Randy
Never worked on a F150 I guess. On my truck they are the same way, you can only lift the wiper blade about 6 inches above the windshield, not stand them straight out like some vehicles.

No nut to loosen on either type, you just pull the wiper blade off, realign, press back on. When you were prying on it and the arm started coming off, that is exactly what it was supposed to do. Just try that again and once it is off, reposition it and press it back on, easy as pie
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Wiper Arm .. cont.

The rear wiper arm "cap" flips up with no problem and it does have a nut to loosen and then adjust -- would think fronts would be the same ???
With no nut, I would think there would be a lot of stripped spline gooves out
there and need for way too many wiper motor replacements ...

I will mess with it again later today. Spent most of today trimming trees.

NOTE: if any of you are near Sylmar/Hollywood, check out that NETHERCUTT COLLECTION Car Museum !!!! Well worth the 2 hr drive up. It is FREE and has a twice daily tour that you need to have reservations for; but that is better than the regular part. They have a large musical instrument collection that is amazing ......... If you go online, sign up about 2 weeks in advance. I got in due to a cancellation . 10 am and 1:30 for the tour and it takes about 2 hrs. I got there before 9 am, walked around the regular museum and then across the street at 9:45, came back over at noon, looked again for 30 minutes and then went on their Train tour for 30 minutes and back for the final walk around. Left a little after 1:30. Randy
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by RainShadow
The rear wiper arm "cap" flips up with no problem and it does have a nut to loosen and then adjust -- would think fronts would be the same ???
With no nut, I would think there would be a lot of stripped spline gooves out
there and need for way too many wiper motor replacements ...

I will mess with it again later today. Spent most of today trimming trees.

NOTE: if any of you are near Sylmar/Hollywood, check out that NETHERCUTT COLLECTION Car Museum !!!! Well worth the 2 hr drive up. It is FREE and has a twice daily tour that you need to have reservations for; but that is better than the regular part. They have a large musical instrument collection that is amazing ......... If you go online, sign up about 2 weeks in advance. I got in due to a cancellation . 10 am and 1:30 for the tour and it takes about 2 hrs. I got there before 9 am, walked around the regular museum and then across the street at 9:45, came back over at noon, looked again for 30 minutes and then went on their Train tour for 30 minutes and back for the final walk around. Left a little after 1:30. Randy
They're not the same. Rear is like a European/Japanese car. Front is like an American car. See post #6..........