Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stumped, starts dies with ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Stumped, starts dies with ABS light

So I’m a little stumped with an issue that’s crept up on my 98 XJ.

Was leaving work the other day and started the XJ. It started then immediately stalled, ABS light came on.

Started again with the accelerator pressed and it started and stayed running. After about two minutes I was able to let off the gas without it dying. Idled like crap but seemed to accelerate fine.

Got home and shut off the engine. Tried to crank over again immediately after shutting down, no crank. Just a click. Waited a minute or two, and it cranked and started again.

My immediate assumption is a vacuum leak. I looked over the lines and didn’t notice anything, no suction noises. It’s the only thing I can think of that ties in the ABS system with a stall and rough idle. Looking for suggestions.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 369 Likes on 329 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Is the ABS light still on?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Dave51
Is the ABS light still on?
It doesn't come on until the engine cranks over and is running. A few seconds into the rough idling and the ABS light comes back on.

Currently there are no pending or stored codes.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KJamesJR
Currently there are no pending or stored codes.
Well, there are but they're in the CAB memory. You'll need a slightly fancier code reader (like an Innova) to read them.

See if AZ can do that.

Or, you could go to the...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

...dealer because IMO you're obligated to see what the CAB thinks is wrong.

Here's an interesting thread about the relationship that shouldn't exist:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...ation-1473777/

The FSM has a procedure to find a short:

If no ABS problem is found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open in the ABS lamp circuit. For complete circuit descriptions, refer to Instrument Cluster in the Contents of Group 8W - Wiring Diagrams.
(1) Check the fused ignition switch output (run/ start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
(2) Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the ignition switch as required. (3) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and within five seconds check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be continuity for five seconds after ignition On, and then an open circuit. If OK, replace the faulty bulb. If not OK, go to Step 4.
(4) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the shorted ABS warning indicator driver circuit as required.
(5) Check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavities of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and the CAB wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, refer to Antilock Brakes in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Group 5 - Brakes for diagnosis of the CAB. If not OK, repair the open ABS warning indicator driver circuit as required.