Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stumble at idle help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stumble at idle help!

So I have tried to search for my exact problem and haven't found anything. I recently put a 95 remanned engine in my 2001. It has the adapter plate to run the 01 intake/exhaust manifold. It also has a cam synchronizer where the distributor goes. Also, I have the 4port neon injectors. I have about 300 miles on the new engine, and it seems to run fine except for when it sits at idle. Even when it warms up it stumbles and will eventually die. Also, when I bring it back up from idle after it stumbles, it stumbles around and shakes the whole jeep at higher rpms. I have new precat o2 sensors on the manifold, that didn't fix it. I don't think it is timing because like I said it runs fine normally it just doesn't like idle sometimes and does that stupid stumble thing. Any ideas? Also my oil level is fine and isn't milky or anything. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by way2goidaho
So I have tried to search for my exact problem and haven't found anything. I recently put a 95 remanned engine in my 2001. It has the adapter plate to run the 01 intake/exhaust manifold. It also has a cam synchronizer where the distributor goes. Also, I have the 4port neon injectors. I have about 300 miles on the new engine, and it seems to run fine except for when it sits at idle. Even when it warms up it stumbles and will eventually die. Also, when I bring it back up from idle after it stumbles, it stumbles around and shakes the whole jeep at higher rpms. I have new precat o2 sensors on the manifold, that didn't fix it. I don't think it is timing because like I said it runs fine normally it just doesn't like idle sometimes and does that stupid stumble thing. Any ideas? Also my oil level is fine and isn't milky or anything. Thanks!
Sounds like your IAC. It's on the side of the throttle body. Take it out and clean it really good. Be careful not to twist the tip. If cleaning it doesn't help the part just might be at the end of its life and needs replaced. Hope this helps