Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange vibrations while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default strange vibrations while driving

I'm experiencing a strange and violent vibration while driving. it only happens at the higher speeds between 45 and 70, and its not consistent. like it happens then i slow down and it goes away, and it doesn't come back for a a while. And so far only on the freeways at freeway speed.

my mom said it looks like the wheels are hopping, and it feels like a quick left to right (or vice versa) violent jerking coming from the front. i had my breaks changed last week and my rotors resurfaced, and it didn't to this before. it just started after the break change and resurfacing.

my mechanic doesn't know whats causing it, and my other mechanically certified friend thinks its the track bar. I have a suspicion that it maybe either warped rotors or that my shocks are starting to go out, but IDK. i got 249k on it, and being that i bought it a little over 4 months ago i don't know what has been done to it and what hasn't other than what i've had replaced so far.

any opinions? or any one else experience this too?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

HI, check your tie rod/ball joints. Jack up the front rear and see if there is any play up & down and left to right in both front wheels, also one of your tires might have thrown a weight...Tj
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

read this; http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...bble+explained
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM

just jacked the front end up and took a look. firstly theres a lot of up and down play in the track bar. and the bushings for the stabilizer bar are toast. how my mechanic could miss that is beyond me. thank god for mechanically inclined friends and brothers

i also need a new steering dampener. Its starting to go. is there any specific one to get. any one know where i can get a new one for a fairly decent price for an 88 cherokee limited?

also when my mechanic changed my fuel pump yesterday i had him rotate and balance my tires. (damn pump died on me on the freeway)

Last edited by Chuck Norris; 06-08-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
just jacked the front end up and took a look. firstly theres a lot of up and down play in the track bar. and the bushings for the stabilizer bar are toast. how my mechanic could miss that is beyond me. thank god for mechanically inclined friends and brothers

i also need a new steering dampener. Its starting to go. is there any specific one to get. any one know where i can get a new one for a fairly decent price for an 88 cherokee limited?

also when my mechanic changed my fuel pump yesterday i had him rotate and balance my tires. (damn pump died on me on the freeway)
its called DW. there are tons of threads here regarding it and how to fix it. but you said your TB has movement. bet the bushings are shot causing your issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM

yeah that's what I'm thinking too. why the hell my mechanic couldn't see that, after i had asked him to check it out...

meh whatever, i may not be very mechanically inclined(i'm learning) but that's the first thing i noticed when i took a look just a few minutes ago. fortunately i have many friends and a brother who are mechanically incline and don't charge an hourly rate lol, so we'll hit this up and change what needs to be changed.

It threw me for a loop cause my mechanic said that every thing looked fine. hes a good guy and an honest mechanic, don't get me wrong.

TY for the speedy responses and all the tips. especially TJ

and now that i think about it yesterday when i took my jeep to my friend the DW issue was the first thing he suggested
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

yeah that's what I'm thinking too. why the hell my mechanic couldn't see that, after i had asked him to check it out...

meh whatever, i may not be very mechanically inclined(i'm learning) but that's the first thing i noticed when i took a look just a few minutes ago. fortunately i have many friends and a brother who are mechanically incline and don't charge an hourly rate lol, so we'll hit this up and change what needs to be changed.

It threw me for a loop cause my mechanic said that every thing looked fine. hes a good guy and an honest mechanic, don't get me wrong.

TY for the speedy responses and all the tips. especially TJ

and now that i think about it yesterday when i took my jeep to my friend the DW issue was the first thing he suggested
he probably doesn't see many lifted rigs. doesn't mean hes a bad mechanic.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

i would get my tires balanced too, i think never getting my tires balanced caused my death wobble, so after you get that done, throw some BBs in those tires
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM

he rotated and balanced them today after he changed my fuel pump, and my rigs not lifted. not yet any ways. i've been dumping all of my money into modding my hyundai, so i haven't gotten to the lift yet. infact my leafs are flat
Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM

replaced the track bar and it fixed the problem
Old 06-12-2010, 05:09 PM

he rotated and balanced them today after he changed my fuel pump, and my rigs not lifted. not yet any ways. i've been dumping all of my money into modding my hyundai, so i haven't gotten to the lift yet. infact my leafs are flat
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM

i've had my 01 hyundai accent well since 01 lol. started modding it about two years ago, its been a really slow process mostly cause i had a crappy paying job. i've got a better job now and the mods are coming faster

my jeep is actually my daily driver believe it or not. you have no idea how tempting it is to start on the jeep. but i'm trying too be good and finish the Hyundai first. still have a long way to go. plus i wanna pick up a new drum set as well.

so my lift, my rack and lighting and every thing else i want to do to the jeep will have to hold off for a bit. its tearing me up in side some times when i think about it or see another cherokee thats done up, lol

especially cause jeep parts are easier to find than accent parts.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

And it lasts longer too