Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stpid dust cover!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stpid dust cover!!!

just how in the hell am i supposed to get the dust cover on my rear shaft of my t-case off? and no i dont have a puller. i have tried prying it off and holding it with a pipe wrench and turning the shaft to break it loose but no dice. any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by iduno_justxploded
just how in the hell am i supposed to get the dust cover on my rear shaft of my t-case off? and no i dont have a puller. i have tried prying it off and holding it with a pipe wrench and turning the shaft to break it loose but no dice. any suggestions?
that my friend is a pita, just did that the other day...and i just worked at it with a pry bar and 3 pounder, and i slammed it hard....and worked around 360 degrees
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokee 4.0
that my friend is a pita, just did that the other day...and i just worked at it with a pry bar and 3 pounder, and i slammed it hard....and worked around 360 degrees
you forgot to add HUGE before pita. i have been doin exactly what your doing but im at a point where i cant get my screwdriver in a part of it. its just pinched to tight now that the other sides are pushed out a lil. but say i manage to get that lil bit up with out first shooting myself in the face. what do i do from there?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered Users

you forgot to add HUGE before pita. i have been doin exactly what your doing but im at a point where i cant get my screwdriver in a part of it. its just pinched to tight now that the other sides are pushed out a lil. but say i manage to get that lil bit up with out first shooting myself in the face. what do i do from there?
i did the same with a screwdriver and then got the pry bar( a real one) and a 3 pounder and just took anger out on it and worked at it...it took 2 days one day i spent a hour gave up moved onto something else then came back and did it the next day and got it in 30 mins...and i thought it was just me but my friends couldnt get it either...just SLAM IT as hard as you can...if you break the housing i got one ill send to you for just shipping
Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

i just got a punch and hit in between it and the shaft untill it came loose... of course this will damage the shaft and the dust cover but you dont need them if you are doing a sye
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM

i did the same with a screwdriver and then got the pry bar( a real one) and a 3 pounder and just took anger out on it and worked at it...it took 2 days one day i spent a hour gave up moved onto something else then came back and did it the next day and got it in 30 mins...and i thought it was just me but my friends couldnt get it either...just SLAM IT as hard as you can...if you break the housing i got one ill send to you for just shipping
yeah it took me about an hour and a half also but i got the dust cover off. its a lil bent up and stuff. dont think it will work again but oh well. just used a screwdriver and a ball ping hammer. wouldnt matter about the caseing tho i have a good fist and a half sized hole in it anyway. thats why im taking it off cuz the whole side that the front drive shaft connects to blew up lol.i was pretty upset tho cuz after i got the dust cover off and then the seal there was a lil ring stoping the oil pump thing from coming off and i dont have the pliers needed to get it out. so then i just unbolted what was left of the back have and to my surprise damn near everything just came out. i was pissed cuz i thought you had to take off that first part to get that done
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by richxj89
i just got a punch and hit in between it and the shaft untill it came loose... of course this will damage the shaft and the dust cover but you dont need them if you are doing a sye
yeah i intend on gettin a sye but i just dont have the money right now. believe it or not even though my case literally exploded all of the guts are still in incredible condition so im gonna see if i can sell them as soon as i get the new t-case on. i need to rip that one apart too and see what kinda condition those guts are in. i might need to swap some parts.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Registered Users

yeah it took me about an hour and a half also but i got the dust cover off. its a lil bent up and stuff. dont think it will work again but oh well. just used a screwdriver and a ball ping hammer. wouldnt matter about the caseing tho i have a good fist and a half sized hole in it anyway. thats why im taking it off cuz the whole side that the front drive shaft connects to blew up lol.i was pretty upset tho cuz after i got the dust cover off and then the seal there was a lil ring stoping the oil pump thing from coming off and i dont have the pliers needed to get it out. so then i just unbolted what was left of the back have and to my surprise damn near everything just came out. i was pissed cuz i thought you had to take off that first part to get that done
they sell snap ring pliers at harbor freight for a couple dollars, youll need to get new ones at the hardware store, ace hardware something like so
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM

they sell snap ring pliers at harbor freight for a couple dollars, youll need to get new ones at the hardware store, ace hardware something like so
yeah i just dont have one at the moment. its times like these that i wish i still worked at lowes lol. but oh well. hopefully it wont matter as soon as my other t-case finally gets here. im hopeing that everything is in good shape on the inside of the new one and i wont have to worry about the snap ring ill just have to wait and see tho