Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Still stalling +updates

Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Still stalling +updates

Hey guys! So! Some of you may remember me and my several month long oil problem battle. That is sorted and all is grand. Im back to my original issues.

My idle is garbage and starting off from a stop it is rather gutless. Wide open throttle or high rpm acceleration is just fine. I replaced the 2 vaccume line clusters when i first got the jeep because they werent even hooked up/falling apart. The other day i took out my propane torch and swung it wildly around the engine compartment for a good 20 minuites listening for idle changes from a possible vaccum leak and found nothing.

Another issue is low rpm/speed stalling. It stalls on me after ive driven, parked, start back up and then accelerate at low speeds. Usually within 20 feet after putting it in drive. Theres no weird noises or anything it just cuts off and the only reason i can tell is suddenly i have no power steering. However today! Today was a 100 degree day and i tried my ac. My ac used to work. It blew hot air like nobodys business. SO! I had the ac on and was blowing at full speed and i watched the voltmeter go from 14 down to 9 and then the jeep died. That seems really REALLY unusual that it would pull that many amps that the alternator couldnt keep up with what it was pulling from the battery. So i turned it on again while i was driving and it didnt work. Another thing to note is my idle gets much worse with the ac compressor on. But ive heard thats normal. First jeep didnt have ac so i have nothing to compare it too.

Another thing it was 100 degrees today and for the first time since replacing the water pump and flushing vigorously it started to get close to overheating whenever i was stopped. Soon as i was moving the temp dropped back down to 210. Is this normal? I figure it probably is for such a hot day.

And lastly im still having weird suspension/steering issues. I replaced the parts i saw wiggling with the dry steer test. New track bar, new tie rod end at the pitman arm, rebuilt swaybar links, new steering stabilizer. It has brand new shocks. It has been on the alignment rack twice. It still pulls to the right i can deal with that. The issue is at freeway speeds it feels like the front end is floating and barely making contact with the road. Im ping ponging off the lines and more so im getting wobbles and shimmying.

Ok guys so thats it. Ive put about 250 miles on my jeep since getting it back together from the oil fiasco. It is a solid runner now with plenty of quirks to iron out but im getting there. My next plan of action for right now is to change the oil again. Another round of rotella tripple t and marvel mystery oil . And im planning to change the transmission fluid and filter.

This may be a dumb question but if im not using 4wd do i need to change the differential fluids and transfercase fluid right now or can i wait?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Bump
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Sooo...today was a bad day for the jeep. Did an oil change. Put about 200 miles on it since getting it all back together. The oil was dark but not completely black. And the sludge that did come out was maybe 5 or so little chunks not the piles that i was dealing with before.

But on the way home i made 3 stops. Started it up after oil change drove down the street 10 feet and it stalled. Went to the grocery store maybe a quarter mile drive. Shopped came back. Started it up and it stalled. Drove about 2 miles to autozone to drop off the spent oil. Started it up and stalled....
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Crimmy
Sooo...today was a bad day for the jeep. Did an oil change. Put about 200 miles on it since getting it all back together. The oil was dark but not completely black. And the sludge that did come out was maybe 5 or so little chunks not the piles that i was dealing with before.

But on the way home i made 3 stops. Started it up after oil change drove down the street 10 feet and it stalled. Went to the grocery store maybe a quarter mile drive. Shopped came back. Started it up and it stalled. Drove about 2 miles to autozone to drop off the spent oil. Started it up and stalled....
Of the Tips in my link below, which have you completed?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked the CPS? Tons of posts on this forum...this is a very recent one.

I hear they get finicky in high temperatures when they get close to failing.

As for the temperature, I'd double check that your E-fan works, and is installed in the proper direction. If your overheating is only when you are stopped, then that would indicate to me that air is not moving across the radiator.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Of the Tips in my link below, which have you completed?
1,3, cps is brand new so 7, 9, 11 sort of. Cleaned the IAC but cannot get the hose to the air cleaner off to clean the throttle body. And that would be it from your list. And Jamurrin like i mentioned CPS is brand new. It had the exact same symptoms before replacing the cps and the old cps did test bad. This one tested good after putting it in. It made no change to the situation.

The electric fan does not work. It doesnt come on ever. I was told it is only supposed to come on when the ac is on but it doesnt come onw ith ac on either.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM

1,3, cps is brand new so 7, 9, 11 sort of. Cleaned the IAC but cannot get the hose to the air cleaner off to clean the throttle body. And that would be it from your list. And Jamurrin like i mentioned CPS is brand new. It had the exact same symptoms before replacing the cps and the old cps did test bad. This one tested good after putting it in. It made no change to the situation.

The electric fan does not work. It doesnt come on ever. I was told it is only supposed to come on when the ac is on but it doesnt come onw ith ac on either.
Not 4 and 5? Super important.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright. Ill post back after ive completed those ones. Im also going to test the IAC by unplugging it. It is possible i damaged it in cleaning it. Could a throttle body thats never been cleaned cause issues like this? And if you remember my oil fiasco cruiser i finally managed to get the video off of my camera and onto the internet of my first drive after the repairs. The idle seemed decent until the end of the video when i turned the heater on.

Be back soon with some more info.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Hang in there and you'll get it.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Just a quick update. My symptoms are worsening and are now consistent. When starting up it is fine now. Once in gear if i let off the gas at low speed it will stall everytime. Anything below 20-25mph if i let off the gas it dies instantly. Once im at speed if i have to let off the gas it stays running.

I havent had a chance to do anything yet. The weather has been around 95 degrees and up and with a history of heat strokes i wasnt going to risk it. Woooo. But its supposed to break this thursday so ill be back soon. Let me know if you guys think this degradation in performance might be specificly anything. Im still oging to do what cruiser suggested because why the hell not?! Its only going to make things better or do nothing at all. Anywho thanks for all your support and time guys.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

You need to get the throttle body clean. If you cleaned only the IAC and not where it's seats in the t/b the IAC still may not be working properly. If you remove the IAC you may as well do an ohms test to see if it's within spec.

IAC ohms test:
Pin sequence;
A B C D

A to D/B to A = 40 to 80 ohms

B to C/C to D = open

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/
Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Happen to know what size bolts hold the air filter hose on? Thats the reason it hasnt been cleaned is those bolts are stripped. I can dremel a notch in it and get it out with a flat head i think...hopefully. But i have nothing to put back in it.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 PM

Happen to know what size bolts hold the air filter hose on? Thats the reason it hasnt been cleaned is those bolts are stripped. I can dremel a notch in it and get it out with a flat head i think...hopefully. But i have nothing to put back in it.
Torx bits. I don't know the size off-hand.

If I was a real nice guy, I would go out to the garage and get the size for you. Want me to?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Seasoned Member

The teeth were stripped out of the bolt. It is a t20 torx bit but i need the size of the bolt for a replacement.

Literally the only reason i havent taken it out is because i have nothing else to put in.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 AM

They don't have to be Torx headed. I can get the size for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still stalling +updates