Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering "sticky" when returning to center

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000 Ltd.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Steering "sticky" when returning to center

Ok, so I'm not having much luck searching around and I don't have a whole lot of time so I'll throw this out there and see if I get any bites.

When I got my Jeep a year ago the steering gear was loose, so I adjusted it up a little to get rid of the play which also stiffened the wheel just a little. Been working great for the last year, but now I've developed this issue where the steering wheel will be sticky or notchy when returning to center after making a turn. I make the turn and then straighten the wheels and in the process the wheel will slightly stick and release, stick and release, stick and release... as it goes back to straight. Doesn't do it every time but it's getting slowly more pronounced over the last couple weeks. It also does it both directions with no problem turning the wheels from straight to turned, it's only on return that it does it. I should also say it's not a very strong effect either, you have to be paying attention with your hands grasping the wheel to notice. If you let the wheel slip through your hands while straightening out you don't really notice. It's definatly not like it jerks the wheel out of your hands or anything.

The steering it tight otherwise, no issues at speed, and I know at least the upper ball joints were replaced a little over a year ago. I don't really suspect the linkage as it should be more consistent (as in returning AND turning the wheel) and due to knowing the steering gear has wear I'm suspecting that as it's possible I over adjusted it. I'd just like some other opinions before I go rip another steering gear out of a Durango or something at the JY and put it in only to find it was actually something else I didn't think to check. Money is tight so I don't want to just throw it at the Jeep all *****-nilly.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Greasing up all your steering linkages is cheap and easy. Not sure what you're on about with the steering gear adjustment.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably need new box.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Mine does the same thing. I think it is from the lack of grease on the steering components, but I will be watching this to make sure that's what it is.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM

I'll try greasing everything up to eliminate that as a potential issue. I know from being under there that most of the stuff has lots of grease, but you never know. You can never have too much grease in the joints (too much on the OUTSIDE is a different story though, lol) and it's about time to grease everything with a grease zurk anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 PM

Found the problem while trying to grease everything... front right u-joint. One axis of it is getting really stiff. I could barely get any grease to go into it, but I figured it out because the wheel was turned to the right for access and it was hard to spin to inspect the u-joint. It would stick and loosen up every 90 degrees, in sync with how the u-joint was moving. Straightened the wheels and the wheel spins free through it's whole rotation. Did a little more diagnosing on the road on the way to and from bible study tonight and found that it is definitely speed dependent. If I go really slow around a corner the pulsing is slow, speed up and the pulsing speeds up. I'm going to have to add u-joints to the list of stuff to do on Saturday.

Glad I don't have to spend the cash on a steering gear, but not thrilled about the labor time to rip the axle shafts out.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Confirmed. Changed u-joints and now the steering is as smooth as can be.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

ugh mine does this too and i only have 52xxx miles on the cream puff. ill try greasing everything before changing u-joints though. its not the money, its the time i dont have
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Really depends on how often they're maintained. The right one was almost completely seized while the left actually wasn't in bad shape (though both got changed, lol). I don't know when/if they were ever changed before though.