Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering noise

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering noise

How are you all doing?. I've been having some problems with the steering of XJ 1999. When I bought it I realized that had a noise when I turned. I still Believe I can fix it haha. I have changed every part of the steering and suspension, it got a lot better. I like stock so I ain't doing any lifting.

I've changed all of the Tie rods (inner and outer, left and right), Trac bar, Steering stabilizer, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, adjusting sleeve, front and rear shocks (broke two legendary rusted bolts from the rear shocks ), and the steering column (gear box to upper tilt steering column).

After all that, I still have one more noise that I can't find, its a clunk noise when I turned the steering wheel from left to right and viceversa within an angle of 40*. I've been thinking, can it be the steering box? it has some play in the steering wheel (not much). I already check the wheels lifted for ball joints problems but they are good. Can be the chassis? can be the little frame where the steering box is mounted?

Thanks for your time!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default Control Arm

I would have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly while you look underneath at the steering. Pay close attention to were the control arm is attached to the axle. If the bolt has hollowed out the hole in the bracket it could be causing the noise as it moves it will make a popping noise. I have had a similar issue with mine. Easy fix just drill it out and install a larger grade eight bolt. It could also be that the bushing is shot. Also not to hard to fix.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JandDGreens
I would have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly while you look underneath at the steering. Pay close attention to were the control arm is attached to the axle. If the bolt has hollowed out the hole in the bracket it could be causing the noise as it moves it will make a popping noise. I have had a similar issue with mine. Easy fix just drill it out and install a larger grade eight bolt. It could also be that the bushing is shot. Also not to hard to fix.

thank you for your quick answer. I'll check that out, actually the car got hit on the right side, that's why changed so many parts, a lot of parts got bended. one of them was the control arm, thats something I haven't changed yet. the only problem is that I haven't figured how to straighten back. I can get a new control arm but the mount is crooked (not broken) where bolt of the control arm are.

Either way, its weird cause I hear the noise more on the other side, where the steering box is. I found some threads talking about a missing bolt where the trac bar pivots on the TRE side. I gotta check that out too

Last edited by wolfgang18; 11-25-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

El cheapeo engineering causes cracks around the steering box mounting area.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Yes the infamous cracked frame rail. Now that you mentioned that it has been hit in the front end, I hope that is not the issue. My son's XJ was hit in the front end before we bought it. Everything looked fine but after a couple of years we experienced the cracked frame rail. Really a problem.(we decided to get another XJ instead of fixing it). I doubt that is your issue though. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Yes, I'm worry about that crack. The car got hit in the opposite side of the steering box though. That's why I'm doubting is that crack but still there's a chance right? If so, is there a way to fix it?

Last edited by wolfgang18; 11-26-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

You can weld it and reinforce (plate it) I didn't want to fix my son's, but if it was mine to drive I would have. I am going to plate my XJ with a Rusty front frame plate with hopes I would not have issues running larger tires while wheeling tough trails. If it was hit on the other side I would not expect that to be the issue. Keeps us posted on what you find to be the problem.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM

I'll keep y'all posted, I have been looking for the famous crack but I haven't found any in the frame. I'll keep looking just in case. I still have to check the control arms to see what's going on. Thank you