Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Column '90 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering Column '90 Cherokee

I want to remove the Steering wheel lock yet leave the rest of the column stock. Does anyone see any issue with this other than "anti theft" reasons?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Nope. That's what it's there for.

If you can do it in a way that does not affect other functions, I don't see any harm in removing it.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Nope. That's what it's there for.

If you can do it in a way that does not affect other functions, I don't see any harm in removing it.
I guess it should be a possibility though.

it has been an issue on my column since I have had the vehicle. if I don't get it just right, I can't pull the key out.

had it apart many times, it seems if I could get the pin out the issue would be solved
Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The lock plate also keeps spring tension on the shaft, so it's kind of needed for that function. You can pull it off and whittle down enough so the lock pin won't engage into it, or just remove the lock pin.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

This is a great link with all the dirty little secrets of the tilt steering GM column used till at least 90. It's actually about getting to the base bolts, but you go through the rest getting there.

There is ALLOT of spring pressure on that plate, held with a circlip. With the plate gone that upward, (I think) pressure will no longer be applied to the shaft. (I don't like the sound of that) don't know why. (Like Busted back said)

Besides actually getting in there and figuring out what's wrong with it, and fixing it, I suppose A guy might remove the pin that locks it, like you said.

Anyway this should help, (thanks to Cruiser!)> http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-08-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
This is a great link with all the dirty little secrets of the tilt steering GM column used till at least 90. It's actually about getting to the base bolts, but you go through the rest getting there.

There is ALLOT of spring pressure on that plate, held with a circlip. With the plate gone that upward, (I think) pressure will no longer be applied to the shaft. (I don't like the sound of that) don't know why.

Besides actually getting in there and figuring out what's wrong with it, and fixing it, I suppose A guy might remove the pin that locks it, like you said.

Anyway this should help, (thanks to Cruiser!)> http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192
This is great info. Thank you.

YES, it is only the pin I wan to remove because of what trouble it causes.
I've been into it a few times and I had a shop work on it and it still gives me trouble from time to time.

it is tough when I park somewhere and I can't remove the key because the lock pin doesn't align right.

thank yo all for your input
Old 05-08-2016, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not recommending this...I just used "ctrl" "+" to zoom in on the first image after the pate is removed. I think I see a little shoulder on the pin and another protruding from the edge of the hole to contact it. With that (second) snapped off or drilled away the pin might come right out. Not that I'm recommending that. One might be sure there is not a spring or anything left that could interfere with the steering.

Now thinking more...maybe not. Whatever retracts it may well be holding it. Just fix it right!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:42 PM

I'm not recommending this...I just used "ctrl" "+" to zoom in on the first image after the pate is removed. I think I see a little shoulder on the pin and another protruding from the edge of the hole to contact it. With that (second) snapped off or drilled away the pin might come right out. Not that I'm recommending that. One might be sure there is not a spring or anything left that could interfere with the steering.

Now thinking more...maybe not. Whatever retracts it may well be holding it. Just fix it right!
I get the "Fix it Right", and thanks for the input.
looking at the pin, it seems it's ONLY purpose is to lock in place when the steering wheel is positioned, wheels straight so the ignition can be rotated to the position where the key can be removed. Something just ain't right there.
nevertheless, I will persevere until it either works smoothly or I destroy it in the process.

I did get the cruise control and the tail lights working today so I did have some success.

now it's registered and I can start the rest of the repairs.

Brakes all wheels (want rear discs) and then the Fuel injection
Old 05-08-2016, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

The pin on the steering lock plate has holes, like every 15*. It has no idea where the wheels are.

Wait..U ever watch M*A*S*H, where Radar can hear the helicopters?

We need to more better understand the business on the shiftier, that is talking to the ignition switch.

We need to shine I light up like they do for Batman or something. Radi? Ken? Cruiser? Anybody HELP!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:21 PM

The pin on the steering lock plate has holes, like every 15*. It has no idea where the wheels are.

Wait..U ever watch M*A*S*H, where Radar can hear the helicopters?

We need to more better understand the business on the shiftier, that is talking to the ignition switch.

We need to shine I light up like they do for Batman or something. Radi? Ken? Cruiser? Anybody HELP!
Exactly.
That's my challenge
I wish I had a better manual
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

It's late, time for me to make dinner. I DO have the FSM. Btw you can find it bootleg or buy it for like $7. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a stab at finding it in the mess I have...I am curious myself what connects the shiftier position to lock the ign function. It's electric I am pretty sure. Probably there is a wire that could be cut, or jumped. Ir maybe cleaning the contacts on the shifter switch
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM

It's late, time for me to make dinner. I DO have the FSM. Btw you can find it bootleg or buy it for like $7. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a stab at finding it in the mess I have...I am curious myself what connects the shiftier position to lock the ign function. It's electric I am pretty sure. Probably there is a wire that could be cut, or jumped. Ir maybe cleaning the contacts on the shifter switch

I will look at finding the manual.

the one I have doesn't get in the deep data info that tells the whole story.

The problem is mechanical. its the way the pin aligns with the holes in the plate when the steering wheel is positioned (seems strange). When I rotate the key to shut off, I cannot get it into position cleanly unless I move the steering wheel back and forth. it almost seems that the parts are worn enough that they don't move properly.
I dunno.....
that's why I would just as soon eliminate the pin as long as it doesn't screw up the whole operation. either that or just leave the key in the ignition. but that is not the best option.

seems like such a simple thing.....................right?