Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starts but doesnt turn over...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Default starts but doesnt turn over...

Hi, sorry guys im new here but i just traded my 90 truck for a 90 jeep it ran fine started right up for me. drove it from the guys house to a gas station and then it wouldnt start. Now, i put unleaded plus in and then was told it only takes unleaded. I know I know i had a older car already i should have known. But i thought it would have at least started and then died because of the good fuel still in the lines before it caught that unleaded plus. the tow truck driver said that it shouldnt be the problem. i have yet to

1. Check for spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. Common causes of no-spark on an 87-90 include the crankshaft position sensor (#1) then the ignition coil, then the ignition control module (in THAT order)

i read that on a different thread but what i want to know is it the bad gas that not making my jeep start or one of these things or a mixture of both.

Anything help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

It doesn't matter what grade of gas you put in. The 4.0 runs well on 87 octane (or whatever your local lowest is) but some use the Plus on a regular basis, which is a total waste of money in virtually all cases.

Check for spark and get back. If none, CPS is indeed first suspect.

Just for future reference, your title is misleading: your Jeep cranks or turns over but doesn't start.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 PM

sorry... did i mention i was a girl still trying to get all the lingo down.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Pelican
It doesn't matter what grade of gas you put in. The 4.0 runs well on 87 octane (or whatever your local lowest is) but some use the Plus on a regular basis, which is a total waste of money in virtually all cases.

Check for spark and get back. If none, CPS is indeed first suspect.

Just for future reference, your title is misleading: your Jeep cranks or turns over but doesn't start.
^^ This ^^
BTW, Being a girl has nothing to do with it and now that you own a Jeep you will get a lot of training on the terminology.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Glad you are taking the time and effort to learn about your XJ.

And trust me, you will get a LOT of help...

Good luck and never hesitate to ask any question that pops up.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Kamalia2
Hi, sorry guys im new here but i just traded my 90 truck for a 90 jeep it ran fine started right up for me. drove it from the guys house to a gas station and then it wouldnt start. Now, i put unleaded plus in and then was told it only takes unleaded. I know I know i had a older car already i should have known. But i thought it would have at least started and then died because of the good fuel still in the lines before it caught that unleaded plus. the tow truck driver said that it shouldnt be the problem. i have yet to

1. Check for spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. Common causes of no-spark on an 87-90 include the crankshaft position sensor (#1) then the ignition coil, then the ignition control module (in THAT order)

i read that on a different thread but what i want to know is it the bad gas that not making my jeep start or one of these things or a mixture of both.

Anything help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Welcome to Cherokee forum.

The "pink link" in my signature has a ton of stuff that's helpful for fixing your era of Jeep and also some diagnostic tips. They're pretty much in order of importance and are easy to read and understand.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

so i changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it started right up and was running rich. My battery was not holding a charge so i bought a new one a day latter and now just like before it turns over but doesnt start. uggh.

should i still go down that list and check the crankshaft position sensor then the ignition coil or do i have a new set of problems?

HAAALP!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kamalia2
so i changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it started right up and was running rich. My battery was not holding a charge so i bought a new one a day latter and now just like before it turns over but doesnt start. uggh.

should i still go down that list and check the crankshaft position sensor then the ignition coil or do i have a new set of problems?

HAAALP!
YES. Do the list!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Default thanks

thanks guys it was the cps replaced it and started right up for me!

I am however running into another problem. The previous owner put an after market air filter on it and didnt care to attach any of the hoses. So i just replaced it with one from pick n pull and im having a hard time figuring out where all the hoses go, it also looks like they cut some off. im having a really hard time finding diagrams or pictures where i can clearly see all of the hoses. This is what i have going on. Any help pictures, something, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails starts but doesnt turn over...-photo-1.jpg   starts but doesnt turn over...-photo-2.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 PM

Attached Thumbnails starts but doesnt turn over...-photo-3.jpg   starts but doesnt turn over...-photo-4.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 10:38 PM

Here:Renix Vacuum Harnesses

The vacuum harness that attaches to the front of the valve cover and includes the grommet/fitting, and is called the front harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1367

The vacuum harness that is closest to the air cleaner, EGR etc, and is called the rear harness, is Napa part number BK-715-1366.

The tube from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold is part number 715-1365 and comes with the valve cover grommet.

Revised 03-19-2014
Attached Thumbnails starts but doesnt turn over...-vacuum_diagrams_html_4716740a.jpg