Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

starting problems still plz help urgent

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default starting problems still plz help urgent

well i checked everything on my 1989 jeep Cherokee and still will not start. but this morning when i was working on it my starter clicked like it was trying to go but couldn't. what i need to know is what i have to do cause i have a job and i need this thing to be running. i took the starter to auto zone and they said it was fine but it was sticking a little. could it just be so week that it cant start up anymore under the pressure of turning the engine? plz help me i really need to get this fixed.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Starter still might be bad although it tested good. I don't like hearing "It sticks a little."

Have you ever refreshed your grounds?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

a sticking starter is not a good starter... how is your battery?... Do you have any spark? Can you hear the fuel pump turn on? Does the motor turn over and just does not start? We need a little more info...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM

brand new starter i can tell if it does or not have spark because that start just plan out with not move at all. fuel pump does work fine. i really do think its just a starter. just being old and all because before this happen it would turn over slower and slower and slower until it died.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 AM

like when i turn it you would here a clung like the starter is trying to go. and it is getting power i really just think that the starter is old and needs replacing. i just wanted you guys to basically confirm it before i buy a new starter.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

If all your grounds and battery connections were clean then I would take the battery down to the parts store and have them load test it. If it comes out good then grab a new starter.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 AM

okay good! going to do that. but i already tested that battery and it all good! i will get it put it in after work and let yall know thank you alot
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

CPS? NSS? idk...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

i would check the CPS had that on my other 88 didnt check and sold it for parts to a buddy he got it runnin then blew the motor and i got it back for parts for my new 88
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

cps wouldnt keep the starter from turning the engine over.

Poor CPS gets blamed on about everything Ive seen on this forum.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by UJSLOST
cps wouldnt keep the starter from turning the engine over.

Poor CPS gets blamed on about everything Ive seen on this forum.
Correct; the crank sensor has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

1. Be sure battery terminals are clean. Freshen grounds

2. If above doesn't help and you have a new battery (charged), then the starter itself is the primary suspect.

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Have you tried to jump start it yet?

If it starts right up with a jump, then the battery is not fully charged, or not holding a full charge.

You would be surprised how many times a dome light or map light gets left on inadvertently.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Having a little starting problems today myself. I don't mean to steal the thread here, But how do I go about checking to see if I need to clean my ground?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by xj guy
Having a little starting problems today myself. I don't mean to steal the thread here, But how do I go about checking to see if I need to clean my ground?

Good question. If you have never performed a comprehensive ground refreshing on a Renix Jeep. you need to. Read on and you'll see why.

Renix Ground Refreshing
The Renix era XJs and MJs were built with an under-engineered grounding system for the engine/transmission electronics. One problem in particular involves the multiple ground connection at the engine dipstick tube stud. A poor ground here can cause a multitude of driveabililty issues, wasted time, and wasted money replacing unnecessary components.
The components grounding at the dipstick tube stud are:
Distributor Sync Sensor, TCU main ground, TCU "Shift Point Logic", Ignition control Module, Injectors, ECU main ground which other engine sensors ground through, Oxygen sensor, Knock Sensor, Cruise Control, and Transmission Sync signal. All extremely important stuff.
The factory was aware of the issues with this ground point and addressed it by suggesting the following:
Remove the nut holding the wire terminals to the stud. Verify that the stud is indeed tightened securely into the block. Scrape any and all paint from the stud’s mounting surface where the wires will attach. Must be clean, shiny and free of any oil, grease, or paint.
Inspect the wire terminals. Check to see that none of the terminals are crimped over wire insulation instead of bare wire. Be sure the crimps are tight. It wouldn’t hurt to re-crimp them just as a matter of course. Sand and polish the wire terminals until clean and shiny on both sides. Reinstall all the wires to the stud and tighten the nut down securely.
While you’re in that general area, locate the battery negative cable which is fastened to the engine block just forward of the dipstick stud. Remove the bolt, scrape the block to bare metal, clean and polish the cable terminal, and reattach securely.
Another area where the grounding system on Renix era Jeeps was lacking is the engine to chassis ground. There is a braided cable from the back of the cylinder head that also attaches to the driver’s side of the firewall. This cable is undersized for it’s intended use and subject to corrosion and poor connections at each end.
First off, remove the cable end from the firewall using a 15mm wrench or socket. Scrape the paint off down to bare metal and clean the wire terminal. Reattach securely.
Remove the other end of the cable from the rear of the head using a 3’4" socket. Clean all the oil, paint and crud from the stud. Clean the wire terminal of the cable and reattach securely.
A suggestion regarding the braided cable:
I prefer to add a #4 Gauge cable from the firewall to a bolt on the rear of the intake manifold, either to a heat shield bolt or fuel rail bolt. A cable about 18" long with a 3/8" lug on each end works great and you can get one at any parts store already made up. Napa has them as part number 781116.
A further improvement to the grounding system can be made using a #4 cable, about 10" long with 3/8" terminals at each end. Attach one end of this cable to the negative battery bolt and the other end under the closest 10mm headed bolt on the radiator support just forward of the battery. Napa part number 781115.

If you want to upgrade your grounds and battery cables in general, contact Jon at
www.kelleyswip.com. He makes an incredible cable upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Revised 11-28-2011
Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: inline 6 (bored over 30)

Every jeep that didn't start was due to bad battery, starter or gear sensor or w/e it's called

It thinks the vehicle is in drive or reverse...try starting it in neutral

Or try starting it while slowly pulling back to reverse

If it's just loud clicking when it is turned over like electrical arching....it's ur starter lol but try jump starting with jumper box or another car

Quick Reply: starting problems still plz help urgent