Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issue, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Starting issue, please help!

Okay, so since day one my 96 inline 6 automatic Cherokee has been nothing but problems, now I've got a new one, I was trail riding with some buddies when all of the sudden it died on me, I figured it overheated but this was not the case, I tried to start it back up but it just acted like it didn't have enough juice to start, I tried it three or four more times until it made no noise at all, it still had all power inside, so we let it sit for a while, came back, still wouldn't start, tried to jump it off with my friends f150, nothin.. So we just pulled it back to my house... This is odd, I figure the starter would at least click? Please help
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

tap on the starter... if it starts, you need a new one. then just go down the same list you would with any other car. fuses, relay, ignition switch... etc...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ELKINS
Okay, so since day one my 96 inline 6 automatic Cherokee has been nothing but problems, now I've got a new one, I was trail riding with some buddies when all of the sudden it died on me, I figured it overheated but this was not the case, I tried to start it back up but it just acted like it didn't have enough juice to start, I tried it three or four more times until it made no noise at all, it still had all power inside, so we let it sit for a while, came back, still wouldn't start, tried to jump it off with my friends f150, nothin.. So we just pulled it back to my house... This is odd, I figure the starter would at least click? Please help
Do you have reverse lights when you back up? If not it could be the neutral safety switch. I've gone through six of them. Try wiggling the shifter when starting. You can clean them most of the time.