Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squealing Noise at Start-Up During Acceleration

Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default Squealing Noise at Start-Up During Acceleration

I have searched the forum, but could not find anybody with symptoms like mine.

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee w/4.0L I6. Once in a while my Jeep will have a squealing noise while accelerating when it's started cold (it's been sitting for several hours or overnight).

It doesn't start squealing until I hit the accelerator, it does not squeal while idling. I can usually get it to stop squealing by simply coming to a stop, then it usually will not come back. Once in a while this will not help and I have to turn the Jeep off and then turn it back on again. This has always worked, at least so far.

I'm sure it's probably a belt, but I'm not really sure. Like I said, it only happens when the Jeep has been sitting a while and the engine is cold, but it doesn't happen every time the engine is cold. It does seem to be happening more often than it used to.

Does anybody know what I should be looking for? I'm not sure if this could be involved, but my rear main seal does have a slight leak. I don't know if there is something that could be leaking on to cause this.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Mine was doing the same thing and I tried the idler pully with noavail and eventually bought a new belt. Something to think about.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Year: 1996

More than likely it is your serpentine belt based on those symptoms. That's what mine was. Very easy to replace with just a 15mm box wrench and a 13mm socket. I did mine recently using a Goodyear Gatorback belt and the squeal is gone.

Last edited by cranesrule; 04-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 295 Likes on 245 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Squeeling sounds like a belt. Whats the tension on it like? In the middle, can you depress it more than 1/2 inch (could be one inch, would have to search that again)?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Roler
Squeeling sounds like a belt. Whats the tension on it like? In the middle, can you depress it more than 1/2 inch (could be one inch, would have to search that again)?
1/4" is better... XJ's need the belt tight. Even if the belt is a bit loose, I would not recommend tightening an old belt that has been squealing. The slipping that causes the squeal also glazes and weakens the belt. Better to replace it and keep it as an emergency spare.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0
Default Might want to check the water pump too!

I had what sounded at first like a squealing belt. Replaced belt, re-checked tension, etc. but it did it every now and then. As it started doing it more often, I discovered the water pump bearing was failing when the green puddle on the driveway appeared one morning.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jermois1
Mine was doing the same thing and I tried the idler pully with noavail and eventually bought a new belt. Something to think about.
Originally Posted by cranesrule
More than likely it is your serpentine belt based on those symptoms. That's what mine was. Very easy to replace with just a 15mm box wrench and a 15mm socket. I did mine recently using a Goodyear Gatorback belt and the squeal is gone.
Originally Posted by Roler
Originally Posted by cranesrule
1/4" is better... XJ's need the belt tight. Even if the belt is a bit loose, I would not recommend tightening an old belt that has been squealing. The slipping that causes the squeal also glazes and weakens the belt. Better to replace it and keep it as an emergency spare.
^
...and get one of this belt tension gauge at Napa
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM

Year: 99'
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Try a belt dressing for your serpantine belt, of you could replace it. Also check the idler puller and the clutch fan. All of those can cause a similar squeal.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM

I have just replaced my belt and my AC compressor and I still have this same problem. I also have a puddle of coolant under my truck. It still squeals and even has a sound like metal rubbing. Anybody know how hard it is to replace the water pump?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Marshall
Try a belt dressing for your serpantine belt, of you could replace it. Also check the idler puller and the clutch fan. All of those can cause a similar squeal.
Do NOT use that stuff on your serpentine belt. Belt dressing is half decent on v style belts but is useless and most times damaging to serpentine belts. If it is determined that your belt is squealing REPLACE it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by raggion19
I have just replaced my belt and my AC compressor and I still have this same problem. I also have a puddle of coolant under my truck. It still squeals and even has a sound like metal rubbing. Anybody know how hard it is to replace the water pump?
Fairly easy on my '93 Laredo.. what model do you have?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM

01 sport