Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spline Count

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Spline Count

Ok here it goes guys. I am an aircooled vw guy but am helping my friend on his cherokee laredo so we can go ride together. He has a 1990 Cherokee Laredo 4wd. It had a shot transfer case in it. He called the jeep dealership and they told him it had a 242 xfer case in it which was later verified when we dropped the case. The problem is the 242 that is at the salvage yard has a 21 spline count on the input shaft of the xfer case and the transmission output shaft has 23 splines.

So what are our options here as far as maybe a conversion shaft to 23. I am new to jeeps but mechanically inclined so let us know what to do. Is there maybe a beefier xfer case that would work in his application that would have 23 splines?

BTW it is a 4.0l with an automatic
Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by aircooled_laredo
Ok here it goes guys. I am an aircooled vw guy but am helping my friend on his cherokee laredo so we can go ride together. He has a 1990 Cherokee Laredo 4wd. It had a shot transfer case in it. He called the jeep dealership and they told him it had a 242 xfer case in it which was later verified when we dropped the case. The problem is the 242 that is at the salvage yard has a 21 spline count on the input shaft of the xfer case and the transmission output shaft has 23 splines.

So what are our options here as far as maybe a conversion shaft to 23. I am new to jeeps but mechanically inclined so let us know what to do. Is there maybe a beefier xfer case that would work in his application that would have 23 splines?

BTW it is a 4.0l with an automatic
you my be able to swap the input splines on the TCs that would require disassembly of both TC not hard if you are mechanical

need more info

year and transmission of Cherokee

year and transmission of donor Cherokee
Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Like Mike said ... it's not hard to do. Just need a really good set of snap ring pliers.

The only thing that's throwing me off here ... the 1990 XJ should be 21 splines, not 23. Could you have the count mixed up between the junkyard 242 and your buddies?

Swap wise ... if the years are close ... it's likely that you can swap the input. Some time around 1993/94, New Process changed the angle of the teeth on the low range gears. This was done mainly for noise purposes. Obviously, you need to have the right cut in order to allow the gear to drop into the case. A second cut revision was made later on ... but the year completely escapes me.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EndlessMtnFab
Like Mike said ... it's not hard to do. Just need a really good set of snap ring pliers.

The only thing that's throwing me off here ... the 1990 XJ should be 21 splines, not 23. Could you have the count mixed up between the junkyard 242 and your buddies?

Swap wise ... if the years are close ... it's likely that you can swap the input. Some time around 1993/94, New Process changed the angle of the teeth on the low range gears. This was done mainly for noise purposes. Obviously, you need to have the right cut in order to allow the gear to drop into the case. A second cut revision was made later on ... but the year completely escapes me.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
if they are automatics there were both 21 and 23 spline in 90
and the length of the shaft changed also right at 1990

thats a tuff year for swaps
Old 06-05-2009, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

and weren't all the ax15 5 speeds a 32 spline
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Mike,

All AX-15 trannies are 23 spline.

1990 should be 21 spline for the auto and 1991 should be 23 spline. There is a possibility of a "late" 1990 build that would get a 23 spline. But I'd rather question and have the OP check his spline count again.

Joe
EndlessMtnFab
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after a little research in the search function I have came to the conclusion the junkyard t/c came out of an automatic. I think we are gonna at least look into swapping the input shafts and if not send it back to the juinkyard and get one from a standard that would be 23 spline. Thanks for your guys help i am sure ill be back again before we get it roadworthy. just out of curiosity are there any vw guys in here with the jeep guys besides me that offroad vw's
Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by aircooled_laredo
after a little research in the search function I have came to the conclusion the junkyard t/c came out of an automatic. I think we are gonna at least look into swapping the input shafts and if not send it back to the juinkyard and get one from a standard that would be 23 spline. Thanks for your guys help i am sure ill be back again before we get it roadworthy. just out of curiosity are there any vw guys in here with the jeep guys besides me that offroad vw's

so your tranny is a 5 speed with a 23 spline???
we need more info
cus if you have a 23 spline 5 speed in 1990 year Cherokee its a ax15
so you would need to find another on with the ax15 in a 9?? or older
to match