Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

spinning fast........

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default spinning fast........

My 89 4.0 has been running great since the HNS saga was finally solved (different injectors) so i have been doing cosmetic trim work.
But today I go to start her up & she spun real fast & didn't want to start. Like there was no compression. I waited about 30 seconds & tried again & this time it was more of a normal rotation & she started but didn't run very smooth at all.
I was very low on fuel & didn't know if this could be the cause of the fast spin & no start? I put a gallon in the tank & she started but ran ruff on the way to the gas station. I filled her up & the idle & ruff running went away for the most part.
Yesterday I almost got stranded in the boon-docks & had to put 5 gallons of 10% ethanol to get back to civilization. Possible this had anything to do with it?
I've never had it spin fast like today when starting.......
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

That's weird....was it extra hot? I think all we get here is 10% ethanol, so I doubt that's it. I've had other things crank fast when it was half **** firing...borderline out of gas? Since adding fuel helped, gotta wonder.

Hey, did you do the 746 injector swap? If so, what to you think?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
That's weird....was it extra hot? I think all we get here is 10% ethanol, so I doubt that's it. I've had other things crank fast when it was half **** firing...borderline out of gas? Since adding fuel helped, gotta wonder.

Hey, did you do the 746 injector swap? If so, what to you think?
Hey Dflint. No......wasn't hot & never gets hot. Runs perfect temp. Complete new cooling system been in there for about 8 months now.
As far as the firing I have new plugs(.35) brass contact dizzy & rotor, belden wires, coil, ICM, I could go on & on.......

It's been running great. Just this time cranking it was spinning like a *&^%$# & I held that crank for about 6 to 10 seconds. I'm thinking WTH & so I try again % the second attempt wasn't as fast & she started but it was gimpy. I shut down & switch back to ON & I hear the pump kicking. It's a new BOSCH if you remember. So I go to the shop & get 1 gallon & put that in cause I know I am dang near empty & I wonder if maybe my first attempt i didn't get a good prime.
She starts & I haul a$$ to chevron & after i gas up everything seems normal.
That fast spin spooked me though. I don't know if a real fast spin could be the result of an almost empty tank?

As for the 746's yes I put them in. I posted about them on another thread a while back but you may have missed it.
I think 1 or 2 of them were sticky so I ran a can of BG44K through the first tank. I'm pleased. With the old injectors I was getting maybe 10mpg. Now I average 18 to 20 town & highway. I've convinced myself my mileage has doubled........he......he.......