Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some random questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Some random questions.

Hey everyone,

Had a few quick, rather random questions that I am hopeful ya'll can help with.

1) I'm going to be ordering some new Crown Auto (
Amazon.com: Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly: Automotive
) Leaf springs. These are HD and are reported to give lift similar to the factory UpCountry package. I want to net a total of about 2-2.5" of lift. I was looking at some AAL's as I've read that longer shackles can cause issues for the springs. Given that these would be brand new leafs, would AAL's cause any problems/weaken the pack?

2) I've looked but can't seem to find a wiring diagram for a '91 XJ HVAC system. Basically, I want to get the wire coming off of the HVAC controls that gives power to the A/C when selected. I want to cut this wire and wire in a dedicated switch, allowing me to have full control over the A/C and also have a dedicated bi-lev and air recirculation option without the compressor cycling (not to mention I need to fix that anyway). Anyone have a diagram or know which wire it is?

3) The CCV system on the valve cover, specifically the rear most grommet and hose. I know the stock setup uses the hose that restricts down to about 1/8" inner diameter, but I've seen pictures where folks replaced this hose with regular open diameter vacuum line. I want to splice in an oil catch can as I am getting blow-by out of the air filter. I've cleaned the inside of the valve cover before, and suspect the problem lies in the fact that the narrow pipe simply cannot compensate for the blow-by of a 214k mile 4.0. Would a larger inner diameter rear line cause any issues, or should I leave it be and splice the can into the front hose?

4) Anyone ever used an eBay steering wheel? They had some nice ones that caught my eye and weren't $200.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually looking at some eBay steering wheels myself... As long as they appear to be quality and of course are quality when you get it.. Why not!? Keep this updated if you get one I'd like to see.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OneWheelWonder
I was actually looking at some eBay steering wheels myself... As long as they appear to be quality and of course are quality when you get it.. Why not!? Keep this updated if you get one I'd like to see.
Will do or I'll put it in the build thread of my sig! I am hoping to find what is essentially a re-badged Grant so I can use a 3/4" adapter that is also on eSlave. See, I have the gut of love, and extra poosh from the steering wheel due to a longer adapter is going to cause me fat guy problems.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

IMHO I would look for a good stock steering wheel from a top of the line XJ.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
IMHO I would look for a good stock steering wheel from a top of the line XJ.
All of these have steering wheel airbags and extra wiring. Just want a simple nice looking setup that isnt the size of my stock big rig wheel! Lol
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Hey everyone,

Had a few quick, rather random questions that I am hopeful ya'll can help with.

1) I'm going to be ordering some new Crown Auto (Amazon.com: Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly: Automotive) Leaf springs. These are HD and are reported to give lift similar to the factory UpCountry package. I want to net a total of about 2-2.5" of lift. I was looking at some AAL's as I've read that longer shackles can cause issues for the springs. Given that these would be brand new leafs, would AAL's cause any problems/weaken the pack?

2) I've looked but can't seem to find a wiring diagram for a '91 XJ HVAC system. Basically, I want to get the wire coming off of the HVAC controls that gives power to the A/C when selected. I want to cut this wire and wire in a dedicated switch, allowing me to have full control over the A/C and also have a dedicated bi-lev and air recirculation option without the compressor cycling (not to mention I need to fix that anyway). Anyone have a diagram or know which wire it is?

3) The CCV system on the valve cover, specifically the rear most grommet and hose. I know the stock setup uses the hose that restricts down to about 1/8" inner diameter, but I've seen pictures where folks replaced this hose with regular open diameter vacuum line. I want to splice in an oil catch can as I am getting blow-by out of the air filter. I've cleaned the inside of the valve cover before, and suspect the problem lies in the fact that the narrow pipe simply cannot compensate for the blow-by of a 214k mile 4.0. Would a larger inner diameter rear line cause any issues, or should I leave it be and splice the can into the front hose?

4) Anyone ever used an eBay steering wheel? They had some nice ones that caught my eye and weren't $200.

Thanks everyone!
I'm working on putting an AC isolation switch in my '99. Currently I just unplug the AC Low Pressure Cycling Switch connector on top of the Accumulator.

I don't have '91 wiring diagrams, only '88 and '93.

Could you take a pic of your climate control panel and post it here.

You may want to subscribe to service instructions for your '91 from Alldata. I'm sure it includes wiring diagrams.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/?gclid=CLH...FaE-MgodKhQAWw
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

The only thing I have to add is; Crown/Omix-Ada makes low-grade products.
Doorman would be a better choice in the same price range.
Also look at Zone leafs.
I would not AAL to a new pack unless it is too soft like Skyjackers 'soft-ride', only because it will change the dynamics/rate.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The only thing I have to add is; Crown/Omix-Ada makes low-grade products.
Doorman would be a better choice in the same price range.
Also look at Zone leafs.
I would not AAL to a new pack unless it is too soft like Skyjackers 'soft-ride', only because it will change the dynamics/rate.
So what would you do for the extra 1-1.5 inches?

Shame about the crowns. Had a lot of good reviews.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Are we sure about the crown leaf springs? Was doing more research and not finding negative reviews.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

3) The CCV system on the valve cover, specifically the rear most grommet and hose.
The rear CCV valve has a 2.6mm orifice, hence the small tube to the intake manifold. Whatever small amount that "designed" vacuum leak is doing is usually swamped by much more "Blow-by", of gasses getting past the piston rings. You DO want it clean and doing what it can though.

The large open tube to the air cleaner ends up handling most of it. In Cruisers tips he has a Mod, changing the way the gasses leave the valve cover to that tube so as to cut down on the amount of oil getting blown out. I think he got it from one of his buddies at Jeep, worth a shot!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone

The rear CCV valve has a 2.6mm orifice, hence the small tube to the intake manifold. Whatever small amount that "designed" vacuum leak is doing is usually swamped by much more "Blow-by", of gasses getting past the piston rings. You DO want it clean and doing what it can though.

The large open tube to the air cleaner ends up handling most of it. In Cruisers tips he has a Mod, changing the way the gasses leave the valve cover to that tube so as to cut down on the amount of oil getting blown out. I think he got it from one of his buddies at Jeep, worth a shot!
Was this in his Mostly Remix tips thread? I found the bit on thr Valve Cover mod (trim an inch off the internal flutes and drill a half inch hole aiming to the rear). Hopefully Cruiser's spidey sense goes off and he jumps in the thread to explain further. Otherwise i'll PM him. The mod is very interesting!

Otherwise the internal baffles, hoses, fittings, and grommets are clean. Perhaps drilling out the hole in the rear elbow to be a bit larger might also help? Is the rear line constricted for vacuum reasons? As in: bigger line would be like an air leak past the throttle body?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Was this in his Mostly Remix tips thread? I found the bit on thr Valve Cover mod (trim an inch off the internal flutes and drill a half inch hole aiming to the rear). Hopefully Cruiser's spidey sense goes off and he jumps in the thread to explain further. Otherwise i'll PM him. The mod is very interesting!

Otherwise the internal baffles, hoses, fittings, and grommets are clean. Perhaps drilling out the hole in the rear elbow to be a bit larger might also help? Is the rear line constricted for vacuum reasons? As in: bigger line would be like an air leak past the throttle body?
Shortening the flutes helps even with the early HOs. 91, right?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Shortening the flutes helps even with the early HOs. 91, right?
Yes sir!

Hiw exactly does this mod work? I am very curious.

Last edited by 1991Jeep_Man; 11-09-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Is the rear line constricted for vacuum reasons? As in: bigger line would be like an air leak past the throttle body?
Correct. Any leak past the throttle plate, besides that (2.6mm orifice), the IAC, and the EGR valve is a vacuum leak. Creative thinking! but NO DRILLING!

Last edited by DFlintstone; 11-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone

Correct. Any leak past the throttle plate, besides that (2.6mm orifice), the IAC, and the EGR is a vacuum leak. Creative thinking! but NO DRILLING!
Despite the annoyance of having to redo the valve cover gasket again, this sounds well worth it and i'll get the silicone gasket.

Quick Reply: Some random questions.