Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some light stays on when doors are off

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Some light stays on when doors are off

I made removable doors on my cherokee. The dome lights say on when the doors are off. Any ideas on how I can get them to turn off, make the jeep think that the door is closed?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:43 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: Straight 6

I can think of some quick fixes...

1) pull the dome light fuse
2) remove light piece from fixture and just let it sit in the white dome until you're reading to put it back in
Old 09-26-2014, 05:38 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Above the pedals there is a fuse board. There is 10amp fuse in there for the interior lights. Not sure if all 10amp fuses are red but mine are. Pull it (remember where it went!) and the lights won't come on anymore. If they still come on you pulled the wrong one. Also if you pull the light fuse those lights can't come on at all so if you wanna drive around doorless you may be better off deactivating the little plunger switch in the door jam.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Turbocube
Above the pedals there is a fuse board. There is 10amp fuse in there for the interior lights. Not sure if all 10amp fuses are red but mine are. Pull it (remember where it went!) and the lights won't come on anymore. If they still come on you pulled the wrong one. Also if you pull the light fuse those lights can't come on at all so if you wanna drive around doorless you may be better off deactivating the little plunger switch in the door jam.
^This

You could extend the wires from the pressure switch in the door to a toggle switch. When you have your doors removed just flip the toggle and the lights should shut off. Might be a bit of a pain to get access to behind the pressure switches though. My guess is you will have the doors off for extended periods of time (not just for one day). If that's the case just pull the fuse.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Or you can just unscrew the pressure sensor and disconnect it...... I don't know why you guys had to make it more complicated lol
Literally the little push sensors that are on the A-pillar and B-pillar unscrew off and then just disconnect them. Lights come off and stay off till you turn your headlight switch to the left(I'm assuming early models do the same as late models.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
Or you can just unscrew the pressure sensor and disconnect it...... I don't know why you guys had to make it more complicated lol
Literally the little push sensors that are on the A-pillar and B-pillar unscrew off and then just disconnect them. Lights come off and stay off till you turn your headlight switch to the left(I'm assuming early models do the same as late models.
Exactly .....KISS..... Make sure you cover the wires to prevent shorts from occuring.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the bulbs to some funky color and say you have neons. 8)
Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
Originally Posted by freegdr
Exactly .....KISS..... Make sure you cover the wires to prevent shorts from occuring.
Wait seriously, no one else thought of this lol.

OP, did you remove the push button already and still have lights on. My LED done lights sometimes light up and my push button is removed. The wiring can make contact in the rain causing some voltage to pass through. Be specific