Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help convince me to buy a xj

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help convince me to buy a xj

Im frustrated. Im wanting to buy a xj putting it on 33s swap out the rear with a 8.8 and possibly swap out the front axle. Im worrying my self sick about it litterally im sick at my stomache. All these horror storys about the uniframe rail strength and how its not worth stiffening and how I should get a full frame vehicle. I gotta tell you im almost conviced on getting a samurai and swapping a 4.0 and 8.8 rear and a bigger axle in the front and make it a daily driver and weekend play toy. Can anyone tell me how long there xj's uniframe held up and convince me to buy one? And how big of a difference frame stiffeners make? And if I did get a xj how do I weld that thin of steel without burning through it? Also I heard its galvanized.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

You should get a H3 or and Xterra instead.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Why spend even 5 minutes worrying about it? You don't want an XJ so don't get one. You sure as hell don't want a galvanized "frame". As the ancient old saying goes: Rust makes trust!

And face it, most of these beautiful XJ trail rigs you see in the forum pictures never actually get off-road - they couldn't possibly hold up to the rigors of a real trail!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

One who truly wants an XJ needs no convincing...
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pelican
Why spend even 5 minutes worrying about it? You don't want an XJ so don't get one. You sure as hell don't want a galvanized "frame". As the ancient old saying goes: Rust makes trust!

And face it, most of these beautiful XJ trail rigs you see in the forum pictures never actually get off-road - they couldn't possibly hold up to the rigors of a real trail!
No I do want a xj. Im just wondering if it will hold up to my needs.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM

No yall I do want a xj believe me. The only thing that has me having second thoughts about getting one is the strength of that unibody. A xj will fit my needs perfect its small, light, has tons of aftermarket parts and a bullet proof engine. I just wanna know if the uniframe wil hold up.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iloveaxles
No yall I do want a xj believe me. The only thing that has me having second thoughts about getting one is the strength of that unibody. A xj will fit my needs perfect its small, light, has tons of aftermarket parts and a bullet proof engine. I just wanna know if the uniframe wil hold up.
Nope it won't hold up, every XJ that's ever been off roaded has a shredded unibody. They can't possibly hold up to a rough fire road let alone some hard core wheeling.

Pretty sure this guy is a bridge troll, I hate being trolled!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: Straight 6

They are rolling bricks, man. Get a decent one and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Year: 2001

Agree with Gary..what kind of question is that?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The only frames I've broken have been on 'full frame' vehicles, lol.

Edit: Samurai? Seriously.....and you are worrying about an XJ? I think Gary nailed it.

Last edited by Radi; 09-24-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

nm

Last edited by Radi; 09-24-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary Briggs
You should get a H3 or and Xterra instead.
I concur. If it really makes you sick to your stomach don't get one. It'll just leave another one for me to pick up at some point. Currently own 2. Put one of them on its side at about 30. Then proceeded to pull it back over by rock sliders that are really supported by 6x 5/16 bolts in the pinch weld, to then have the beast fire right up and not even blow a puff of smoke. And finish the trail and drive an hour + home. Only busted a tie rod end, and bent a wheel, + needs some body work or the top chopped

I'm just saying.
Still my DD and still gets wheeled at least every other weekend.

help convince me to buy a xj-image-943281449.jpg
Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Iloveaxles
Im frustrated. Im wanting to buy a xj putting it on 33s swap out the rear with a 8.8 and possibly swap out the front axle. Im worrying my self sick about it litterally im sick at my stomache. All these horror storys about the uniframe rail strength and how its not worth stiffening and how I should get a full frame vehicle. I gotta tell you im almost conviced on getting a samurai and swapping a 4.0 and 8.8 rear and a bigger axle in the front and make it a daily driver and weekend play toy. Can anyone tell me how long there xj's uniframe held up and convince me to buy one? And how big of a difference frame stiffeners make? And if I did get a xj how do I weld that thin of steel without burning through it? Also I heard its galvanized.
How many threads on the same subject are you going to post? I don't know who's feeding you the bullcrap "horror stories", and if it's truly "making you sick to your stomach" I gotta say...keep moving on, don't buy an XJ, and stay off the trails. This isn't the hobby for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Im not a troll. Im just looking for advice and help. Thats what a forums for right? I worry about things more than other people thanks to ocd. All I wanna know now is how effective are unibody stiffeners and would they strengthen my uniframe to hold a 8.8 axle and maybe a dana 44 front axle and bigger tires without cracking and falling apart. Look I wanna wheel and I wanna do it in a cherokee.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Most people don't even install the stiffeners, hold up just fine.

Quick Reply: help convince me to buy a xj