Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sockets Vs. Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sockets Vs. Wrenches

I'm going to get a set of tools to work on my Cherokee, will sockets or wrenches be the best for engine work?

Ratcheting wrenches or regular wrenches? 6 point or 12?

What tools do you do your engine work with? What brands to get, what to stay away from?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

i would have to say ideally u would need sockets and wrenches. i like ratcheting wrenches personally but if u really have to crank on a bolt to loosen it u really dont wanna use a ratchet wrench. stay away from crap made in china. personally 90% of my stuff is snap-on. some craftsman. if u dont wrench 4 a living and as long as its got a lifetime guarentee it dosent really matter what brand
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd go ractchets I use them more and I use craftsman. Tho know they have those racheting wrenches I want some so bad but they cost a lot.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

If you wrench for a living, you can not spend too much money on tools - get Snap-On, MAC, or MATCO.

If you don't, you don't need to spend so much money (either way, have at least two of the stuff you find yourself using frequently - nothing worse than stopping in the middle of a job because that damned socket broke, and you need it...)

Brands that I've used and like?
- Craftsman
- Proto
- S&K
- OTC (some specialty tools)
- Lisle
- K&D
- and even Husky (Home Depot house brand) isn't bad.

I tend to stay away from most "parts house branded" tools - they're often referred to as "Snap-Off Tools," and usually for good reason.

As a general rule, avoiding "Made in China" is a safe bet - while most Chinese steel is old Buicks, the Chinese still haven't gotten the hang of proper heat-treatment, and that's every bit as important as raw metallurgy in the first place!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

if there is a sears nearby the average backyard mechanics best bet is craftsman.

a good start would be one of those larger combo sets.

you wouldnt want simply a set of wrenches or simply a ratchet and some sockets.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
if there is a sears nearby the average backyard mechanics best bet is craftsman.

a good start would be one of those larger combo sets.

you wouldnt want simply a set of wrenches or simply a ratchet and some sockets.
X2. For a home mechanic, that's the best bang for your buck when starting out. Just look at what you're getting though. You don't need 60 allen wrenches, or some of the other odd things like they give you in some sets just to build up the number of pieces in the set.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 80 to 140 pieces is all you really need. Make sure to get metric!! Not very many std bolts on these things. Everything I have seen from the factory calls for metric sockets and wrenches.

I too would go for Craftsman. The sears by me never asks any questions, just gives me a new (whatever) to replace my broken one.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Most Brands have a Mechanic set and if you have the money get Snap-on or Matco, but I would not buy any thing less than craftsman sets. I have had luck with the Harbor freight's Impact sockets and breaker bars (but just those two). Also you will need a torque wrench for almost every bolt on a car and do not cheap out on that.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I wrench for a living so I have a combo of Snap-on and Craftsman. I hate the cheap crap cause it rust and rounds off and the ratchets break and hell need I go on. Even if you don't wrnech for a living get Craftsman.

I have been slowly building my snap-on set from e-bay. The snap-on truck and pawn shops.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by trs80
About 80 to 140 pieces is all you really need. Make sure to get metric!! Not very many std bolts on these things. Everything I have seen from the factory calls for metric sockets and wrenches.

I too would go for Craftsman. The sears by me never asks any questions, just gives me a new (whatever) to replace my broken one.

I forgot the question when I saw the TRS80 and the pic! Thats too funny...long live the 5 1/4" Floppy!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Isn't most craftsman made in china these days?

IMO the only thing going for the newest generation of craftsman tools is the warranty. Their ratchets have PLASTIC parts on them for gods
sake. I buy husky and I've never had a problem, then again if wrenching was my job it would be Snap-On all the way!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

Craftsman makes decent sockets for the hobbiest....there ratches are junk IMO But im a full time TECH. I only buy snap-on ratchets. matco makes great sockets. what ever you buy make sure it is in a plastic case!! things tend to stay put. try to stay away from course teeth ratchets if you can. dont forget a swivel socket if your set doesnt come with one.
as for sockets or wrenches you need both....no either or!! I use sockets way more than wrenches but when you need them you have to have them!!
if you have any i have had luck with harbor freight impack sockets and also MIT stuff.

Last edited by 98 JeepJeep; 08-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by trs80

Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Oh a little pointer on the craftsman trade in warranty. I broke my craftsman 3/8s almost as soon as I took it out of its package (No I wasn't abusing it). When I took it back I was told I had the option of getting an older style ratchet that was factory refurbished so I went for it. I'm not sure how old it is but that this is friggen bullet proof! No crappy plastic parts. I've had it for several years now and could not be happier.

Next time you break a craftsman ratchet see if this option is available, you'll get a real quality tool.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM

I feel a good full set of metric and sae sockets are a must 1/2-3/4-1/4,but in the same breath theres stuff you need a box wrench for also get a set of offset box wrenchs for the hard to reach stuff I own mostly matco,snap-on,s-k wayne and proto tools and my boxs cost more then a new hyundi,so also look in pawn shops for tools you will find that desperet times call for people to sell things they dont want to. Oh yeah and get a 1/2in 2foot breaker bar it wil save your life.

Quick Reply: Sockets Vs. Wrenches