Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

So sick of playing "is it going to start?" lottery

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default So sick of playing "is it going to start?" lottery

1999 XJ 4.0. Last week I had to replece my starter and battery. After replaceing the battery it fire right up and ran fine. Drove it around a bit and it sat all weekend. I go out and try to start it this morning and nothing. No click no buzz nothing. With the ignition on my volt meter on the dash reads 12v. My battery charger reads full charge. I disconnected the battery and scrubbed all connections even though they appeared clean an still nothing.

I am getting really fed up with this Chrysler piece of garbage. It may go away the next time it starts.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Have you tried cleaning your neutral safety switch?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Have you replaced the battery terminals?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM

No. where is it at?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

check your battery cables too. that was my issue. then can be corroded on the inside to where you can not see it on the outside. Within the first few inches of the battery cable it should be flexible. if it is stiff they have corroded and you need new ones.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by 96_xj
check your battery cables too. that was my issue. then can be corroded on the inside to where you can not see it on the outside. Within the first few inches of the battery cable it should be flexible. if it is stiff they have corroded and you need new ones.

x2 on this.

I have this problem on one of my tractors. It has a "safety" switch of some type that unless the hydrostatic pedal is in EXACTLY the right spot, the machine will not start. Not nothing - no spark, no lights, no nothing. Huge irritant and it is an almost brand new Kubota.

Whatever is wrong with that xj, it is simple and once it is fixed, it is fixed. If you really want aggrovation, try debugging a '98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. You can spend your LIFE looking for little bitty electrical faults. Trust me...xjs are waaaaay easier.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CAEMI
x2 on this.

I have this problem on one of my tractors. It has a "safety" switch of some type that unless the hydrostatic pedal is in EXACTLY the right spot, the machine will not start. Not nothing - no spark, no lights, no nothing. Huge irritant and it is an almost brand new Kubota.

Whatever is wrong with that xj, it is simple and once it is fixed, it is fixed. If you really want aggrovation, try debugging a '98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. You can spend your LIFE looking for little bitty electrical faults. Trust me...xjs are waaaaay easier.
pleeeeeeezzzzzz dont mention a 1998 ford explorer its my other vehicle that runs
Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 AM

I replaced both battery cable ends. The cables themselves seemed to be in good shape nice and flexible with bright copper when I stripped them back to put the new ends on. The only issue I found was the little pig tail that goes from the negative cable to the passenger side fender fire wall. The bolt that holds it to the firewall was very corroded so I relocated that with a new wire and screw.

After all this-still no start. I decided to jump it even though the battery charger and volt meter on the dash both read 12 volts-boom! fires right up. I let it run for 15 or 20 minutes to charge up the volt meter on the dash is reading 14 volts at idle. I shut it down ant started it back up a few more times with no problem. Went out this morning ant it still fires up with no problem.

Do you guys think it is fixed? I still dont know I dont trust it right now!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by scott357
I replaced both battery cable ends. The cables themselves seemed to be in good shape nice and flexible with bright copper when I stripped them back to put the new ends on. The only issue I found was the little pig tail that goes from the negative cable to the passenger side fender fire wall. The bolt that holds it to the firewall was very corroded so I relocated that with a new wire and screw.

After all this-still no start. I decided to jump it even though the battery charger and volt meter on the dash both read 12 volts-boom! fires right up. I let it run for 15 or 20 minutes to charge up the volt meter on the dash is reading 14 volts at idle. I shut it down ant started it back up a few more times with no problem. Went out this morning ant it still fires up with no problem.

Do you guys think it is fixed? I still dont know I dont trust it right now!

I don't know why it did not occur to me...but 12 volts at the battery means dead battery. I think it's supposed to be 13.8 volts. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can chime in here but, if memory serves, 12 volts is not enough whack to start the car.

So...battery could have bad cell, alt might not be charging, or some other oddball problem. It could also be that your batt was low because of bad cable connection.

Now I'm out of bullets.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by CAEMI
I don't know why it did not occur to me...but 12 volts at the battery means dead battery. I think it's supposed to be 13.8 volts. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can chime in here but, if memory serves, 12 volts is not enough whack to start the car.

So...battery could have bad cell, alt might not be charging, or some other oddball problem. It could also be that your batt was low because of bad cable connection.

Now I'm out of bullets.

12 volts with the car off is perfect considering its a 12 volt battery....

13-14.5 volts when running. 14.1 is ideal tho...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Well so far so good. I am going to let it sit overnight and see if it dies again.

It is a JY battery but they give a 90 day warranty on it so if it dies again I will swap it for another one.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Honorary Moderator

next time it does not start, put your jeep in park or nuetral, e-brake on. then take jumper cables and connect them to your battery posts, connect the ground to a spot on the frame (i used a lower control arm bolt) then connect power to your starter. if it starts then your battery cables/connections are bad.

btw make sure yuour jeep is in the "on" position and the E-Brake is set!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

my xj is the same way,until i cleaned the cable wit a wirre brush and the days i dnt plan on drivin it,i stiil crank it up and let it run and what not