Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smoking Exhaust Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Smoking Exhaust Manifold?

Ok so I just finished putting everything back in and hooking everything up after swapping the exhaust manifold for a new "not gonna break" version and cranked it up. After giving it some gas it ran but when I went to check under the hood white/gray smoke was coming from either the intake or exhaust manifold. (I'm not sure which but it was under the fuel rail very close to the block). I know I put everything back in right but I do have some gasket sealer visible. Would that cause a ton of smoke? It looked like a car you would see on the side of the road nearly on fire which is why I immediately cut it off.

I'm hoping its' just having to burn off gunk but I can only assume the worst. I'm going to try to crank it and let it run tomorrow for a bit to see if either goes away or blows up

The smoke smelt like fuel so I don't know what to think. Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cparker688
Ok so I just finished putting everything back in and hooking everything up after swapping the exhaust manifold for a new "not gonna break" version and cranked it up. After giving it some gas it ran but when I went to check under the hood white/gray smoke was coming from either the intake or exhaust manifold. (I'm not sure which but it was under the fuel rail very close to the block). I know I put everything back in right but I do have some gasket sealer visible. Would that cause a ton of smoke? It looked like a car you would see on the side of the road nearly on fire which is why I immediately cut it off.

I'm hoping its' just having to burn off gunk but I can only assume the worst. I'm going to try to crank it and let it run tomorrow for a bit to see if either goes away or blows up

The smoke smelt like fuel so I don't know what to think. Any ideas?
Alot of new headers or manifolds have oils on them it should burn off, if it doesnt something else is up
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Just to be safe, I'd turn the key to the on position and check for fuel leaks under the fuel rail and injectors before starting it up again.

Did you re-use the injector o-rings?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Yeah, I reused the o-ring but they were in pretty good shape. I turned the key to on and checked for leaks but didn't see any but when I cut the thing off there were two big spots of fuel on the driveway.....

So I know it's a fuel leak but have to figure out where it's coming from.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Don't run it until you've fixed this leak.

Check the connections to the fuel rail. On Cherokees, there is a quick connect fitting that's prone to leakage when reused.
I'm not familiar with the '99 Grand Cherokee. Maybe someone will give you better advice on what to look for.

Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 AM

This is my 92 Cherokee. I'm picking up new o-rings this afternoon and we will see what happens.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM

So I turned the Jeep on and guess what, injector number 2 looked like a gas fountain. I haven't had time to switch the o-rings yet but had a heck of a time getting the stupid things back in there to begin with. I'm pretty sure when I put them back in they might have messed up by either cracking or slicing apart.

Is there a "proper" way to put them back in? The place where the injectors connect to the fuel rail on the fuel rail looks a little bent. Could this be an issue? If so where do I get a fuel rail because I've looked everywhere but no one sells them.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Try using some spray silicone lube on "any" rubber o-ring, always makes life easier, and a little lubrication helps keep the rubber from tearing. (WD-40 works better than nothing, but silicone is the best for rubber, and you can lube the window tracks with it as well.)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by cparker688
So I turned the Jeep on and guess what, injector number 2 looked like a gas fountain. I haven't had time to switch the o-rings yet but had a heck of a time getting the stupid things back in there to begin with. I'm pretty sure when I put them back in they might have messed up by either cracking or slicing apart.

Is there a "proper" way to put them back in? The place where the injectors connect to the fuel rail on the fuel rail looks a little bent. Could this be an issue? If so where do I get a fuel rail because I've looked everywhere but no one sells them.
The following post details the procedure pretty well:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/inj...88/#post407900

As for his method of soaking the o-rings in fuel to lubricate them, I think it would dry too quickly for me. (you'll see what I mean)
I just rubbed a little bit of clean motor oil on mine with my fingers.

If your fuel rail is bent, it may indeed cause issues. The junkyard is your best bet for a replacement.

I think the rail most often bends during the removal process. Some people remove the retaining clips from the injectors first, then remove the fuel rail and remove the injectors individually. This will avoid stressing the rail.