Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slow Turn over No start

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Slow Turn over No start

Ok
So I done an engine swap and the new engine is not turning over properly.
I have ruled out the Starter and Battery. I have Checked the grounds and the seem to be fine (not saying it isnt the ground) Im looking for more things that i could check. I hooked jumpers to the negative to one of the head bolts made no difference.

Symptoms.
1. Turns over slow. Hit one time but didn't actually start
2. Negative Terminal get really hot. (makes me think ground?)

I am going to install new cables this weekend when I get a chance to work on it more.

Wanting more ideas of things that I should check?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Starter?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

How did you rule out the starter? If the starter is binding it could cause the wires to get hot or the starter itself could have a short in it..... Also if the wires are hot you could have a short...how do the wires look going to the starter are they clean?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
How did you rule out the starter? If the starter is binding it could cause the wires to get hot or the starter itself could have a short in it..... Also if the wires are hot you could have a short...how do the wires look going to the starter are they clean?
I put another starter in it. Same issue with both starters.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by highmileage
Starter?
Not the starter
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

How did you rule out the battery? Jump the battery straight to the starter with a fresh battery to make sure you didnt get a dud. It's happened before. Once you get it started, take loose the negative terminal on the battery and see if it dies after 15-20 seconds. If it does, your alternator is probably bad.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
How did you rule out the battery? Jump the battery straight to the starter with a fresh battery to make sure you didnt get a dud. It's happened before. Once you get it started, take loose the negative terminal on the battery and see if it dies after 15-20 seconds. If it does, your alternator is probably bad.
I will try that. Alt was replaced about 2 months ago. Battery is less than a year old. I think its another issue and it has to be something simple. All of my components worked well when I pulled the old engine. I don't think any parts are actually bad. I did have a thought just now. I wonder if I got the block and alternator grounds backwards. I am going to check that when weather permits. The issue seems to me that its something that I didnt get put back together correctly. Like I said before I pulled old engine everything worked well. I pulled the old engine because of Oil useage.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
I will try that. Alt was replaced about 2 months ago. Battery is less than a year old. I think its another issue and it has to be something simple. All of my components worked well when I pulled the old engine. I don't think any parts are actually bad. I did have a thought just now. I wonder if I got the block and alternator grounds backwards. I am going to check that when weather permits. The issue seems to me that its something that I didnt get put back together correctly. Like I said before I pulled old engine everything worked well. I pulled the old engine because of Oil useage.
Did you weld on the jeep at all with the battery still connected? How long did it take you to do the swap? If more than like a day or so where was the battery during this time?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Did you weld on the jeep at all with the battery still connected? How long did it take you to do the swap? If more than like a day or so where was the battery during this time?
No welding. Took about a week or so. On the porch on a card board box. I took my battery out of my F-150 and it gave me the same results.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
No welding. Took about a week or so. On the porch on a card board box. I took my battery out of my F-150 and it gave me the same results.
Well should have been fine on the porch.. You can always just take the battery to get it checked.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

I think the issue was dry cylinders. Poored some a/t fluid in the cylinders and got her going. Motor was at jy for about a year.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You DO NOT want to do this!!! You have a chance to fry the computer. This was the way to check for a bad alternator on older vehicles before they started installing the computers to control everything. This is a very bad recommendation to anyone that has a computer in there vehicle unless you are willing to take the responsibility for frying something.