Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slow turn, front wheel hopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Slow turn, front wheel hopping

This is my first time posting, I've been browsing around the last few weeks finding solutions to problems. Thanks to all those who share their knowledge.

I just bought a 2000 XJ, 165k miles. When turning sharply left or right slowly (like into a parking stall), the outside front tire sort of hops or skips, or kind of kicks out like it's binding then the bottom pushes out. It hops a few times like this while turning into a stall, for example.

First I thought it was stuck in 4WD, found some gravel to test it. Shifted 4WD around and tried the reverse trick. Gunned it on the gravel and only the back tires spun. Tested it again on pavement, it still hopped... It's been racking my brain for a few weeks now.

I know while turning, inner and outer wheels turn at different speeds, is there something that controls that? Could it just be bad differential fluid? Something in the transfer case?

I checked the differential fluid and it is full. Front U-joints appear to be fine.

Anybody else run into this? Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

I'm thinkin its because of the super tight turning radius or something. Mine does the same thing. Are you on stock tires? I did just replace all my tie rod ends and the one at the pitman ARM was trashed. I haven't tried a tight turn since I replaced everything but ill let u know the results. The tre at the pitman was terrible, totally loose and the housing was worn back over the shoulder of the part. The ball was on its way out. I thought maybe that could cause it. Like I said ill try it tomorrow and come back with results.

Last edited by Slick761; 06-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

We all kinda squeal on tight turns. I know Jeeps are made with some negative for some reason. Mine hops when it comes out of being locked but that's the only time I can think of it happening to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM

shift into 4 wheel and jack both front tires off ground. spin one side and watch the other side spin backwards. feel for any bad mesh in the diff or if you hear any odd noises. if nothing bad proceed to next step

While in air(with handbrake on and blocks behind back wheels) shift TC into neutral or 2wd if it will go. have someone hold one front wheel while you spin the other. if binding then you are catching something in the TCase or have a bad tooth on the ring/ pinion. may have to jiggle Tcase lever (shift trans into neutral) quite a bit to disengage front output.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I6

i always figured this to be the u-joints binding up seeings how it is a 4wd and this is one of the drawbacks
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slick761
I'm thinkin its because of the super tight turning radius or something. Mine does the same thing. Are you on stock tires? I did just replace all my tie rod ends and the one at the pitman ARM was trashed. I haven't tried a tight turn since I replaced everything but ill let u know the results. The tre at the pitman was terrible, totally loose and the housing was worn back over the shoulder of the part. The ball was on its way out. I thought maybe that could cause it. Like I said ill try it tomorrow and come back with results.
Yeah, it's a pretty standard Sport. No lift, no towing package. The tires are standard p225 75r15.

The tie rods are all tight and no play. Thanks for checking!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 PM

No lockers for me. Several years back I was driving a 96 Grand Cherokee, but never had this hopping. The turning radius seems to be sharper than that Grand Cherokee.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM

I'll try jacking it up this weekend to check turning the front wheels, test the transfer case.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Mine does the same thing, I just figured it was normal.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by UteJeepXJ

Yeah, it's a pretty standard Sport. No lift, no towing package. The tires are standard p225 75r15.

The tie rods are all tight and no play. Thanks for checking!
Ya still does it on a tight slow turn. Only when there's gravel or dirt on the asphalt. If the asphalt is clean it doesn't seem to do it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Add me in to the 'happens sometimes' list.

I've owned more than a few XJ's, and have noticed it on all of them at one point or another. It is an odd sensation, isn't it?

On the other hand, I've only noticed it as a sort of 'pulse' feedback in the steering wheel, and sometimes I can hear it if the windows are down and it's quiet out. Your symptoms seem sharper than mine... Also, please forgive me if I've read this wrong, but from your description the symptoms appear if
turning sharply left or right slowly (like into a parking stall)
Do the symptoms pop up if turning sharply right/slowly left as well?

(Not trying to be a smart-poster here, just trying to picture it clearly.)

Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I hit a rock in my old Cherokee once and it bent the tierod slighty, after that it hopped a lot when turning sharply at slow speeds, just something to think about
Old 07-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Year: 1991

I have a 89 xj.it has 99k miles and i don't experiace that problem But it has no up grates or large tires is just like it came out of the factory.good luck
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No lockers for me. Several years back I was driving a 96 Grand Cherokee, but never had this hopping. The turning radius seems to be sharper than that Grand Cherokee.
The GC has CV joints upfront too. They are much friendler in turns than U-joints.
U-joints aren't perfect, they get grumpy at extreme operating angles even when new. A little hop in tight turns is pretty normal.