Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

slave keeps failing need help please

Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Exclamation slave keeps failing need help please

i have replaced the slave on my 88 jeep xj with the enternal slave and thro out brering and about a month or so it goes rite back out what am i doing wrong ive tryed every thing changing master and the slave full clutch kits still it fails i follow the instructions to the t everytime and i built my own street rod bug so im fairly good at spining a wrench CAN SOMEONE who has done this and has had it last please tell me how u did it
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Did you fully bleed the lines clean with new brake fluid?

Also, make sure you get a quality part, not the junk that advanced and autozone tend to sell.

For any new parts for my hydralic systems(Brakes, or clutch) I refuse to buy parts from anyone except Napa.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Did you fully bleed the lines clean with new brake fluid?

Also, make sure you get a quality part, not the junk that advanced and autozone tend to sell.

For any new parts for my hydralic systems(Brakes, or clutch) I refuse to buy parts from anyone except Napa.

yes ive done this 5-6 times just the slave goes out ive tried doing the slave and master at the same time to enshure new fluid wen i instal it i thead it to the clutch line, clip it into the bel housing careful not to disrupt the plastic straps that hold it compressed, instal the trany crack bleeder on the slave cylinder tube, fill master cylinder full, have someone press the pedal while i open an close bleeder until no bubbles is this not the way to do it?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

that sounds right and has worked for me the numerous time I've bled brakes/clutches. Where'd you get the replacement from?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

the only replacement internal slave I would use is a mopar brand replacement.

I've never had one fail. parts store brands don't last me a month.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ

x2 with the exception of Napa. From my experience they tend to make pretty good quality parts.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 AM

so u have had the same problem ware did u get the mopar one ive got one from napa , franklin, and autozone and after each one only about a month of use then it pops !!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

did you guys replace the pilot bearing while you were in there mine would blow a lot before i did two on the third i did the pilot bearing and its been 7 years now it still working
Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

pilot bearing? where do you come up with this crap.

More than likely your release bearing is binding on the input shaft sleeve which would cause an increase in required force to move the throw rod, which in turn causes the slave cylinder to fail. Depending on how many miles you have on that clutch, perhaps the pressure plate is bad, it may be time to replace it and the input sleeve. (sometimes the sleeve is good just nicked or burred which causes the same problem)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ive gone thru 3 slaves in the last year and half, its stupid. They all fail the same way, the front seal in the slave blows out. I contribute it to my old flywheel that has been machined idk how many times. When i originally did my clutch i had a problem with it not fully disengaging and i wasnt the only one with this problem around the country. I solved it by removing my carpet and riding the clutch alittle bit to wear it in so it wouldnt catch right off the floor.

I believe that the whole clutch assembly is too far from the transmission, causing the slave to have to work at the limits of its range, thus blowing out the front seal.

Fix: fab up alittle longer push rod for the slave and slap it in there. I made mine about 1/8" longer than stock and grind the ends round. Not really sure the final overall length. If this doesnt work then the trans has to come out to get to the clutch
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Willys55

More than likely your release bearing is binding on the input shaft sleeve which would cause an increase in required force to move the throw rod, which in turn causes the slave cylinder to fail. Depending on how many miles you have on that clutch, perhaps the pressure plate is bad, it may be time to replace it and the input sleeve. (sometimes the sleeve is good just nicked or burred which causes the same problem)

the pilot bearing is located in the center rear of the crank shaft and is what the transmission input shaft slides into. check your tech before you post, because it actually can seize/fail, and if it's worn funny, the input shaft isn't centered, so the slave/throwout bearing will wear funny.

it's an internal slave. there is no throw rod. the throw out bearing rides on the slave.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Umm he converted his to external slave, reread the 1st post

x2 on pilot bearings. i hates those suckers
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

the pilot bearing centers the front shaft into the crank if its bad it will move from side to side putting side to side pressure on the bearing thus causing it to break internally 30 years of auto motive experince is where i get this crap
Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

by the way its an 88 internal slave and bearing one pc throw rod there aint one
Old 11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

the pilot bearing is located in the center rear of the crank shaft and is what the transmission input shaft slides into. check your tech before you post, because it actually can seize/fail, and if it's worn funny, the input shaft isn't centered, so the slave/throwout bearing will wear funny.

it's an internal slave. there is no throw rod. the throw out bearing rides on the slave.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slave keeps failing need help please