Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

shut off issue and wont start after ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default shut off issue and wont start after ?

Ok so I just signed up to the forums because I need help bad. So letlet's get right to it
A couple weeks back as I was driving to work I got off the usual exit and was a a semi slope and the jeep started shaking and loosing rpms and shut off. Put it in park and started it up got to work. I was windering what the heck it could be ? I made it home with no issues. So after this incident I decided I was goint to work on it a bit. I changed out the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and even a new radiator. Iv had some heating issues with and have had to drive with the heater ok on so it wouldn't over heat. After all that I gave it a test drive around the block and it ran like a champ so the second drive around it did the same issues it did when I was on hill but I was at a stop no hill or slope and it shut off and this time it did not want to start it cranked fine but did not want to stay on. Can this be because of a bad cps ? Or any ither sensor I don't think its the fuel pump either. So please let me know guys thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0l I-6

Originally Posted by cz94xj
Ok so I just signed up to the forums because I need help bad. So letlet's get right to it
A couple weeks back as I was driving to work I got off the usual exit and was a a semi slope and the jeep started shaking and loosing rpms and shut off. Put it in park and started it up got to work. I was windering what the heck it could be ? I made it home with no issues. So after this incident I decided I was goint to work on it a bit. I changed out the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and even a new radiator. Iv had some heating issues with and have had to drive with the heater ok on so it wouldn't over heat. After all that I gave it a test drive around the block and it ran like a champ so the second drive around it did the same issues it did when I was on hill but I was at a stop no hill or slope and it shut off and this time it did not want to start it cranked fine but did not want to stay on. Can this be because of a bad cps ? Or any ither sensor I don't think its the fuel pump either. So please let me know guys thanks
I had a similar issue about two months ago.. I found out that yes, the cps was at fault. there is an electrical check you can do to verify a bad cps. I think cruiser54 has a write-up on it. you may want to check his threads. being warm will affect the cps results too, watch out for that. My cps was removed and replaced by the PO, and he neglected putting the right bolt ( they are special) back in, this resulted in my CPS hitting the tone ring. I hope this helps, let us know if this is the fix!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by xjpioneer
I had a similar issue about two months ago.. I .und out that yes, the cps was at fault. there is an electrical check you can do to verify a bad cps. I think cruiser54 has a write-up on it. you may want to check his threads. being warm will affect the cps results too, watch out for that. My cps was removed and replaced by the PO, and he neglected putting the right bolt ( they are special) back in, this resulted in my CPS hitting the tone ring. I hope this helps, let us know if this is the fix!
Will do bro thanks. I needed to hear that and for sure will look that up
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by xjpioneer
I had a similar issue about two months ago.. I found out that yes, the cps was at fault. there is an electrical check you can do to verify a bad cps. I think cruiser54 has a write-up on it. you may want to check his threads. being warm will affect the cps results too, watch out for that. My cps was removed and replaced by the PO, and he neglected putting the right bolt ( they are special) back in, this resulted in my CPS hitting the tone ring. I hope this helps, let us know if this is the fix!
Sorry I was MIA. I finally put in a lot work today on my jeep I replaced the transmission cooler replaced serveral hoses and added the fan shroud and finally the cps I was amazed it started right up I was so happy. Went to give it a test run and it happened to do the sake thing it shut off randomely took forever to get it started and drove a few feet then shut off again. I have to think that it has to be the fuel pump right ? I'm stumped and exhausted tomorrow I plan on towing to the repair man whoch really upsets me
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM

It may be the fuel pump. I've had pumps in the past get hot and shut off or have a bad ground inside and do the same.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Any check engine light? If so, must pull codes for clues.

2. Fuel pump is a possibility. If this were in my garage, I'd get a fuel pressure gauge (can be rented from many parts stores; call around) and first get a baseline fuel pressure while idling in the driveway. Then keep the gauge in the cab and check it again when symptomatic. For a 94, you should have approximately 31 psi of fuel pressure at idle.

3. Always review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

4. The ignition coil is another possibility. They can be tested with a meter for both primary and secondary resistances. Again, I'd start with a baseline test while in the driveway, then keep the meter in the cab and test resistances again when symptomatic.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. Any check engine light? If so, must pull codes for clues.

2. Fuel pump is a possibility. If this were in my garage, I'd get a fuel pressure gauge (can be rented from many parts stores; call around) and first get a baseline fuel pressure while idling in the driveway. Theneep the gauge in the cab and check it again when symptomatic. For a 94, you should have approximately 31 psi of fuel pressure at idle.

3. Always review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

4. The ignition coil is another possibility. They can be tested with a meter for both primary and secondary resistances. Again, I'd start with a baseline test while in the driveway, then keep the meter in the cab and test resistances again when symptomatic.
1. No check engine light. I was worried I didn't do something right when I swapped some parts but im made sure I took my time with no rush.

2. I have a feeling It may be the pump I remember a year ago I helped my buddy with his had similar issues and swapped out the old pump with a new one. Also it isn't in my driveway it died out 2 streets down and it had alot of trouble stay on could i still test without running the car ?

3. It hasn't had a tune up in about a year but I have been keeping up with my oil changes could bad spark plugs, cap,rotor be the issues ?

4. Lastly I never delt with an ignition coil so that's new. What's the price range on those ?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You can check the fuel pressure in the driveway.
Ignition coil runs about $45, give or take depending on what you get and from where.
Avoid the cheap aftermarket coils, they have high failure rates.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
You can check the fuel pressure in the driveway.
Ignition coil runs about $45, give or take depending on what you get and from where.
Avoid the cheap aftermarket coils, they have high failure rates.
Ok thanks also what causes these to go bad and is the syptoms the same like what I'm having
Old 09-29-2013, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cz94xj
Ok thanks also what causes these to go bad and is the syptoms the same like what I'm having

Like anything else, they just wear out. The insulation in the coils slowly degrades leading to shorts, the fuel pumps are a mechanical item. Either could cause symptoms like you are having.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Ok so yesterday had my buddy come over and we swapped out the old fuel pump and still has the issue. I drives fine and after stopping at a stop just shuts off. Managed to get it home barely. Put in new distributer cap old was shot out. So in conclusion I have no idea what else it could be.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Year: 99, 01
Engine: 4.0l

I have been having the same issue w/ my 01. After screwing with it for weeks I finally narrowed it down to the connector for the cps. I can start it up and climb underneath and mess with the connecter and it dies every time. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 PM

My first 2 checks are always fuel & spark. This could be an Idle Air Control issue or possibly Throttle Position Sensor. IAC is cheaper & sounds more likely since it seems that you're having the issues at idle speed.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5pattys
I have been having the same issue w/ my 01. After screwing with it for weeks I finally narrowed it down to the connector for the cps. I can start it up and climb underneath and mess with the connecter and it dies every time. Hope this helps.
Can a oil leak be the issue maybe like a bad ground ?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by judbgrdmchn
My first 2 checks are always fuel & spark. This could be an Idle Air Control issue or possibly Throttle Position Sensor. IAC is cheaper & sounds more likely since it seems that you're having the issues at idle speed.
After it gets running I drive it around and then at a complete stop just shuts off. And takes several times to try and get it running but doesn't always want to start. I do plan on finally tkaking it in to someone iv lost hope

Quick Reply: shut off issue and wont start after ?