Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sharp POP when turning right...

Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: my friends 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default sharp POP when turning right...

Hey, im new on here, but not new to 4x4 or jeeps for that matter.

my friend traded his great running P/U for a 1990 cherokee laredo with add-a-leaf in the rear(installed) and a set of 2in coil pucks in the front(uninstalled), 31in. BFG a/t's with a max of 40% tread left, yesterday to use as his DD/trail rig... and didnt quite see what he was getting himself into...

the cooling hoses from the transmission to the radiator are toast and leak like a ford (i can say this because i own a ford lol).
-decent or average price for the pair?

needs a PCV valve, the hose is stuffed into the port with no valve

when the tires are in line and you are at a stop and you turn RIGHT or are making a Slow RIGHT turn, there is a sharp POP in the front drivers side of the vehicle. But if you are traveling at a speed (7 maby 10+ mph) there is no POP.
- i have looked all over and have yet to locate the cause, nothing is rubbing. but you can see the tire itself move with the POP and the axle itself, it can be felt in the floor as well. i am left thinking it is the steering box, but am left wondering why it is only when you turn RIGHT.

if you can give ANY advice on these problems and/or any common problems for this vehicle i would greatly appreciate the input!
sorry this is soo long, but i wanted to give as much info to lessen the hasstle in the future.

thanks, KOLTON

My vehicles- all work done by myself

2005 JEEP wrangler unlimited: 3in suspension lift. 33in. ProComp X/t's and lights, wench and the works...

1987 Ford Bronco II: 8in superlift, custom stinger and snorkel. 33in ProComp M/T's. Exploder 8.8 rearend, Exploder Dana 35 IBEAM front end. rebuilt 2.9 Liter (bored to 3.0) rebuilt T5 tranny.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

With engine off (so you can hear better) have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look and (listen) at the trackbar mount and joint (frame side and axle side). Same goes for the draglink TRE at the pitman arm.

Also take a wrench to the 3 nuts directly below the motor mount brackets on the drivers side frame rail (16mm IIRC), they be loose.