Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seized AC compressor... replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Seized AC compressor... replacement

My AC compressor is seized, and I am surprised at how expensive it is to have a shop replace it ($800 to $1000!). I have been doing research on the job, and what needs to be done, and it doesn't seem too overboard, but I would like to hear other people's experiences. What can I say, I like having all the help I can get.

Here it is, as I understand it. Please correct me if I'm missing anything, or comment about the good/bad/ugly parts of the job.

Go to AC shop and have them drain my refrigerant
Go home, remove compressor, accumulator/dryer, and oriface/expansion valve. Buy replacements
Push aerosol cleaner through the remaining parts of the system until they run clean (should I remove the evaporator, condenser, and hoses to clean them?)
If condenser is clogged, replace it as well.
Install replacement parts. Probably add an inline filter to which side? The engineer in me wants to put it on the low pressure side, but I have been told to put it on either...
Charge with refrigerant (R134a). Compressor oil comes in the refrigerant, right? I don't have gauges for monitoring the pressure on both sides, so should I just have a shop recharge me?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

By the time you do all of that work, you will probably have $800 - $1000 into it. A compressor will cost about $250 and the other parts will add up fast. If you don't have access to a vacuum pump and manifold set, you have to take it in to be charged anyway.

I'd be inclined to spend the money and have the shop do it. If you do it yourself and have a leak somewhere you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$, whereas a shop will have to stand behind their work.

I went through the same thing and replaced lines, dryer, compressor, etc. I still have a leak and am now looking at getting a leak detector. I'm also regretting not taking it to a shop, but I have the vacuum pump and gauges so I'll proably keep at it until I find the problem.