Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Seafoam?

ok, i had read many, many threads on this site, and have learned alot and often i see people recomending seafoam for performance issues.
i have never been a big fan of ( so called miricle in a can ). My experiance has been your just masking a problem with the engine or fuel system.
So i guess my question is Does this stuff really work, and if so what are the benifits, or down side of this product?
im very interested in what your experience has been with it.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by trailsend.lake
ok, i had read many, many threads on this site, and have learned alot and often i see people recomending seafoam for performance issues.
i have never been a big fan of ( so called miricle in a can ). My experiance has been your just masking a problem with the engine or fuel system.
So i guess my question is Does this stuff really work, and if so what are the benifits, or down side of this product?
im very interested in what your experience has been with it.
I too am Leary of "Fix in a can" but this stuff really cleans out your top end well. Supposed to clean top of pistons and valves if poured in the brake booster and injectors if poured in gas tank. I use it in my oil just before an oil change and it seems to take some buildup from motor...Tj
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Well #1 its not a miricle in a can it is one of those products that just does what it says thats it can do thats it.Plain and simple nothing more nothing less.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Its not bad, may kill your engine, may lock it, may work good.

Funny how whenever someone posts about seafoam there is a bg44k banner at the top of my screen, anyone else notice that?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:39 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Diesel
Its not bad, may kill your engine, may lock it, may work good.

Funny how whenever someone posts about seafoam there is a bg44k banner at the top of my screen, anyone else notice that?
Nope no banner on mine...Tj
Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich
Well #1 its not a miricle in a can it is one of those products that just does what it says thats it can do thats it.Plain and simple nothing more nothing less.
Well said.

and as the other post stated may lock it is not true if its used properly......

I would not recommend running it in the crankcase. If you want to help clean out internally run diesel specified oil in it (ie Delo, Rotella) which has added chemicals to help clean the internals.

One can of seafoam in the GAS tank every time ya fill up for 3 or 4 tanks in a row and then one more each month.
it will slowly eat away the carbon build up on pistons, rings and valves and free sticking rings in turn helping to prevent blowby.

For a shock treatment they now make a fogger also to use as directed on can.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I have had good luck with the BG 44k. I've used it in my XJ and I used in in a LR discovery. On the flip side, I've used seafoam also. They seem to work the same. I've never had any issues with it messing anything up.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rmart30
and as the other post stated may lock it is not true if its used properly......

I would not recommend running it in the crankcase. If you want to help clean out internally run diesel specified oil in it (ie Delo, Rotella) which has added chemicals to help clean the internals.

One can of seafoam in the GAS tank every time ya fill up for 3 or 4 tanks in a row and then one more each month.
it will slowly eat away the carbon build up on pistons, rings and valves and free sticking rings in turn helping to prevent blowby.
Thats funny, 12 years ase, seafoam and bg retailer/consumer, and I dont know how to do it....

IT WILL affect every engine differently, you cannot say Oh it WILL NOT lock it, Im sure my DD which is in amazing condition would take to it better than my rig which has blowby and bad carbon deposits probably clogging up half my other problems. Vehicles have locked from it, even when using it properly, its just one of those things that can happen.

Crankcase is a no no, seafoam=less viscous so it will sit on top of the oil, pump will suck that up first, bye bye bearings.

As for your last statement, think about that really hard. It will never touch the pistons if it is in the fuel, it will not help get rid of blowby, if you have blowby you have permanent damage unless replaced. And if you have carbon clogging any open passes, using seafoam in the PCV will cause blowby. And whats a sticking ring?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Thats funny, 12 years ase, seafoam and bg retailer/consumer, and I dont know how to do it....

IT WILL affect every engine differently, you cannot say Oh it WILL NOT lock it, Im sure my DD which is in amazing condition would take to it better than my rig which has blowby and bad carbon deposits probably clogging up half my other problems. Vehicles have locked from it, even when using it properly, its just one of those things that can happen.

Crankcase is a no no, seafoam=less viscous so it will sit on top of the oil, pump will suck that up first, bye bye bearings.

As for your last statement, think about that really hard. It will never touch the pistons if it is in the fuel, it will not help get rid of blowby, if you have blowby you have permanent damage unless replaced. And if you have carbon clogging any open passes, using seafoam in the PCV will cause blowby. And whats a sticking ring?
Really?? I used seafoam in the crankcase my previous oil change. It was only in there for about 200 miles.... Is that gonna cause major damage to my bearings?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Really?? I used seafoam in the crankcase my previous oil change. It was only in there for about 200 miles.... Is that gonna cause major damage to my bearings?

Think about it, most people dont. Is alcohol a good lubricant compared to oil?

Edit-Seafoam would fall under Oil Additive when used- http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 PM

well it seems i opened up a can of worms here.
if any one else has used it i would like to hear from ya
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Your suppose to add 1/3 a can a couple days before you change the oil,the idea is that it cleans up deposits and they wind up in your oil,I have used it in the crank case BEFORE a oil change and in my intake.might have quieted the valve train a little.Dont think that it would damage anything as long as you changed the oil

Last edited by Skunkape; 10-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM

In my opinion...

1. Gas tank (best, but slow)

2. Vacuum line (mostly smoky and make you think something awesome happened)

3. Crankcase (too risky)

You can also spray it into your throttle body with the engine off and give it a good scrub with and old tooth brush. Fire it up until it stops smoking and your good.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 PM

I did not say YOU didnt know how to do it, I said if done properly.

you cannot say Oh it WILL NOT lock it, Vehicles have locked from it, even when using it properly, its just one of those things that can happen.

If you can show me ONE engine that locked up by putting seafoam in the gas tank per directions on the can I will kiss your you know what and post a picture of me doing it for everyone here to see. It isnt going to happen that way.

It MAY happen if someone runs it in the CC too long and wipes out the bearings or if they hydrolock and bend a rod by sucking in too much thru a vacuum hose. Neither of which I recommended in my post.

As for your last statement, It will never touch the pistons if it is in the fuel, it will not help get rid of blowby, if you have blowby you have permanent damage unless replaced.

permanent damage ? Bull pucky, not true in every scenario.......
ya ever seen a stuck ring from carbon deposits? Thats not permanent damage unless it scores/scuffs the cyl walls. Seafoam can, and will free up stuck rings thus reducing blowby.

Also when mixed in the gas if it will never touch the pistons as you say how does it clean the carbon off the piston tops and the rings?

If that statement was true then the gas it was mixed with would never touch the pistons either and leave the carbon deposits in the first place.

Seafoam has been widely used in the 2 stroke outboard community.
2 strokes which burn oil mixed with the gas cause massive carbon buildup. Much more than the average commuter car engine will ever see.
I have seen firsthand it clean years of built up carbon AND free up stuck rings in turn reducing blow by.

and my disclaimer is Im not ASE certified as I got out of automotive work a long time ago.....
But I do have 21 yrs as a field service tech on all types of construction equipment.
I have worked on engines up too 1000hp V12 detroits....certified on RT and crawler cranes up too 250 ton... 35 ton rock trucks.... and have a Kenworth service truck in my driveway that cost more than most peoples houses..... Soooo, I might have a little knowledge to back me up also
Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 PM

thank you all for your input and opinions. it good to be in the land of free speech, but i think thats the only thing our wonderful goverment has not taxed yet

Quick Reply: Seafoam?