Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusty's vs Iron Rock

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rusty's vs Iron Rock

I've been lookin at the RC 6.5" long arms but I'm hearing that they on back order or something so I started looking at the Rusty's 6.5" LA and the Iron Rock 6.5" LA. I'd prefer the Rusty's since it has true upper/lower bolt up long arms but the price is high and the Iron Rock is cheaper but I don't know if I like the thought of only the driver's side bolting up to the upper/lower and the passenger side only bolting to the lower. Also I'm not feeling Iron Rock's caster adjustment thingy on the Y shaped long arm. Any words of wisdom? I wish Iron Man 4x4 sold complete kits cuz I'm LOVIN his set up!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

ive only heard about the iro but its been all positive.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter K&N intake, Hushpower 40 series exhaust

I'm running Iron Rocks long arm now and I never thought that my jeep would ride like this ever again. It drives down the road way better than the RC 6.5" short arm I ran for 3 years. Wish I would have spent the money on the IROR in the first place. As far as having the radius arm on one side and lower only on the other all I can say is that it seems to improve on and offroad abilities. As you can tell I'm sold on it. It flexes so far that RCs longest shocks still limit it even with 2" spacers.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by suburban_sam
I'm running Iron Rocks long arm now and I never thought that my jeep would ride like this ever again. It drives down the road way better than the RC 6.5" short arm I ran for 3 years. Wish I would have spent the money on the IROR in the first place. As far as having the radius arm on one side and lower only on the other all I can say is that it seems to improve on and offroad abilities. As you can tell I'm sold on it. It flexes so far that RCs longest shocks still limit it even with 2" spacers.
so you just bought the IRO long arm upgrade kit? what size lift you runnin now?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM

I have 8" now, but am going to go back down to 6.5" before I do any extreme trails this season. 8" is just too tall for the rocks. The rear is a RE 5.5" pack with an add-a-leaf and 2" shackles which doesn't flex as well anymore with the add-a-leaf. That's why I'm going back down. Small pic is with 6.5" and a few inches more flex in the rear.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah I thought about that whole COG thing but the majority of what I'd run is mud with some hard trails here and there. I'd really like to go the 8"s! Did u have to degree shim the rear? What mods besides the SYE kit did u have to do for the 8"s? Oh and do u have any pics of it sitting flat?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tactical40cal
Yeah I thought about that whole COG thing but the majority of what I'd run is mud with some hard trails here and there. I'd really like to go the 8"s! Did u have to degree shim the rear? What mods besides the SYE kit did u have to do for the 8"s? Oh and do u have any pics of it sitting flat?
To make 8" work I had to use:
-2 degree wedges in rear
-dana 44 is longer so driveshaft actually had to be shorter
-shock extensions front and rear
-brake line extensions
-double shear track bar or just a track bar drop bracket

Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Yeah man I'm really liking the 8"s!!! And if I saw it right the IRO 8" kit come with everything I need for $100 more than the 6.5" kit
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by tactical40cal
I've been lookin at the RC 6.5" long arms but I'm hearing that they on back order or something so I started looking at the Rusty's 6.5" LA and the Iron Rock 6.5" LA. I'd prefer the Rusty's since it has true upper/lower bolt up long arms but the price is high and the Iron Rock is cheaper but I don't know if I like the thought of only the driver's side bolting up to the upper/lower and the passenger side only bolting to the lower. Also I'm not feeling Iron Rock's caster adjustment thingy on the Y shaped long arm. Any words of wisdom? I wish Iron Man 4x4 sold complete kits cuz I'm LOVIN his set up!!!

Just for your info if you are still keen on the RC stuff, they have all items in stock as of now. Just got confirmation that they have despatched my L/A kit today.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by theolebill
Just for your info if you are still keen on the RC stuff, they have all items in stock as of now. Just got confirmation that they have despatched my L/A kit today.
awesome man!!! do me a favor and keep me updated on how you like you kit. i think RC would be the best bang for my buck so let me know. thanks