Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusty's Throttle Body???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rusty's Throttle Body???

Ok so im interested in getting a bigger throttle body for my xj, i've heard its the best bang for your buck bolt on application that gives a moderate performance boost. I've looked around at the different sites that sell them and so far I like Rusty's Offroad throttle body because they send you a brand new one, unlike some companies that sell you a used bored out one and you have to send them in your old throttle body. Anyways to my question, my interest in getting a larger throttle body it to get rid of the stock TB that has the diameter taper down to 52mm at the base. I called Rusty's and asked if they're TB was 62mm all the way down or if there was a taper (like the stock one). The person who I spoke to first said the TB was 62mm all the way through, then when I mentioned the taper to 52mm he said he didnt know... Have any of you purchased the Rusty's 62mm TB? And does it taper down to the 52mm or is it bigger? I figure befor I spend the $200 bucks I should figure out the best place to get a good, perferably new, throttle body. If you guys know a better place to get a bigger throttle body let me know, thanks for your input!

Last edited by BigRed93xj; 10-12-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyone?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

can get one from hesco. and all sorts of goodies for that matter. they are pricey though ~400 after shipping. they use a brand new owm tb and bore it 62 straught through.

I'd get the rustlys for half price if its 62 straight through though.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=...019&catId=7972
Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

thanks for the tip...thats one spendy throttle body, but I guess you get what you pay for. I checked out the other goodies they got for cherokees and the high flow water pump caught my eye, an extra 6hp and 2ft/lbs??? not bad... Think its worth the $170?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Seasoned Member

i don't know, ill have to sheck out the water pump. I think most of their stuff is pretty pricey but they have a lot thats hard to find else where. Ill check out the pump though
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

i was wondering how a water pump made more horsepower but after reading it i understand. the "gains will vary with other items installed" thing kinda worries me cause if they installed it on an already awesoem engine it would probably help more then a regular old stock 4.0. I think paddleing coolant is minor on the list of 4.0 inefficiencies. But hey, even if it gets you 3 its probably worth the cash.

@$170 + shipping for 6 (maximum unexpected) hp when a stock unit runs about $30 not the best deal, but it you needed more cooling too, which i think all cherokees do, then its not a bad deal
Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Here's where I would go...
http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by housew
i was wondering how a water pump made more horsepower but after reading it i understand. the "gains will vary with other items installed" thing kinda worries me cause if they installed it on an already awesoem engine it would probably help more then a regular old stock 4.0. I think paddleing coolant is minor on the list of 4.0 inefficiencies. But hey, even if it gets you 3 its probably worth the cash.

@$170 + shipping for 6 (maximum unexpected) hp when a stock unit runs about $30 not the best deal, but it you needed more cooling too, which i think all cherokees do, then its not a bad deal
One thing to remember with a proper operating cooling system the coolant needs to stay in the radiator long enough to get cool. Many times people will get all these High Flow products for their stock engines and the coolant never spends enough time in the radiator getting cool so you don't really help the heat issue. I think spending money on a 3 row radiator is better money spend then a fancy water pump. A proper flowing t-stat cover is better money spent on cooling. Proper flow and more cooling surface is more important then speeding up the flow. Just my opinion on cooling..
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
One thing to remember with a proper operating cooling system the coolant needs to stay in the radiator long enough to get cool. Many times people will get all these High Flow products for their stock engines and the coolant never spends enough time in the radiator getting cool so you don't really help the heat issue. I think spending money on a 3 row radiator is better money spend then a fancy water pump. A proper flowing t-stat cover is better money spent on cooling. Proper flow and more cooling surface is more important then speeding up the flow. Just my opinion on cooling..
+1
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

i have the three row rad and love it. I had to do my pump on mine once and opted for the stock unit. i'm right with you guys on that one. Hes looking for hp, and i don't really think youll get much out of a water pump, but if really can get 6hp for 170 thats not a bad $/hp ratio. just kinda doubt youll get that much if anything at all

they say the gain is in increased pump efficiency cause the stock pump paddles the coolant and theirs slices it and reduces cavitation. It is a belt driven accessory so I can see how reducing the power needed would free up more power, just doubting the 6hp number.

could also get an all electric one that only runs when needed, but i highly doubt its worth $450
Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by housew

The gains after other items installed on high volume water pumps is when you install an underdrive crank pulley. All of your other components will turn slower, such as alternator and power steering pump. This is not a mod I would want to make on an off road rig.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Yeah definately get a 3 row rad if you don't have one yet and want to help on the heating problem. Got mine and love it.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

I went with the stroked jeep bored throttle body, and I love it. Only 90 after sending my old one back.