Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

running warm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default running warm?

alright when ever im in traffic and stopped or very low speeds my jeep will creep up to 218ish. rarely gets to the next mark after 210. when ever traffic gets flowing again it will stay around 218 for a minute or two and the ncreep back down to 210. is 218 an acceptable temp or should i be concerned??? by the way it only does this during 75 plus weather today it was 93.....

recent cooling system maintenance

flowkooler pump 2 days ago, 180 thermostat, upper lower gates hoses, fresh 50/50 coolant. redline water wetter all at the same time.

1.5yrs ago 2 row murray radiator and 16lb cap. cap is in good shape.

before the flowkooler pump it did the same thing. my electric fan works good and the mechanical fan are in good shape. no signs of the hoses collapsing.

options im considering

hood vents
hood riser
bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator but what are the downsides to this??? possible tranny overheat?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

These things didn't get that hot stock, why would you think you need to mod anything to return it to stock parameters?

Based on your description, your mechanical fan clutch is failing. E-fan sounds like it's coming on because your mech can't do its job. New fan clutch time!

Is your fan shroud intact?

For your other question, your trans NEEDS a cooler. You can bypass the OE section of the rad and use an independent unit
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM

ok thats what i thought..... my jeep does have the auxillary cooler just wanted to make sure that bypassing the one in the rad would not hurt the tranny. so should i not be able to turn the fan when the engine is off and at operating temp???? with the hood open and engine running i can clearly see the fan spinning pretty damn fast but the air flow in front of the rad doesnt seem the best....
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by jebmccall
ok thats what i thought..... my jeep does have the auxillary cooler just wanted to make sure that bypassing the one in the rad would not hurt the tranny. so should i not be able to turn the fan when the engine is off and at operating temp????
I just installed a trans cooler and I left it in series with the radiator cooler. If you live somewhere with cold winters this is probably desirable as the radiator will help warm up the the trans fluid.

To check the fan clutch, you do as you said. It shouldn't turn very much when the engine is hot and off. Obviously, don't mess with the fan when the engine is on.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

ok thats what i thought..... my jeep does have the auxillary cooler just wanted to make sure that bypassing the one in the rad would not hurt the tranny. so should i not be able to turn the fan when the engine is off and at operating temp???? with the hood open and engine running i can clearly see the fan spinning pretty damn fast but the air flow in front of the rad doesnt seem the best....
Ah ok. Like playbass wrote, leaving it in series with an aux cooler can be beneficial. As long as it's downstream of the aux cooler of course.

The fan clutch is designed to nearly freewheel when cool and be very rigid when hot. You should not be able to turn it at all if you've just shut the engine off. She's toast man
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 PM

guess my hub is bad..... got home and could rotate it easily.... damnt i just spent 200 dollars on my cooling system............ so i guess i should be fine with the standard xj hub? i dont really want to worry about running into issues with the zj upgrade. now should i go mopar or will one from oreillys do fine???
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had same issues and replaced the fan clutch and fixed it. Pretty cheap fix. Same yourself some headache and pull the radiator to replace the clutch. It is really easy to do.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 PM

yeah im hoping this fixs it. by chance could the fan blade be on backwards? i noticed that the air flow behind the fan seems to be alot, but coming through the radiator seems to not be a whole lot..... still the hub has a little resistance when its at 210 degrees....
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Air flos thru rad onto motor not out the front thru grill.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
I had same issues and replaced the fan clutch and fixed it. Pretty cheap fix. Same yourself some headache and pull the radiator to replace the clutch. It is really easy to do.
Are you ****ting us? I just changed mine in 15 minutes without removing the radiator.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first thing to check is the drive belt, if it is stretched/loose/worn out, it won't be providing enough turning power to the water pump which means your cooling system doesn't circulate very well until you give the car some gas
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 PM

yeah i had a dumb moment freegdr.... pls forgive me must of been that 14hr dya that got too me. anyways the air flow behind the fan feels good, but coming through the rad doesnt seem to be a whole lot..... like i said when the engine is at op temp and is turned off their is a little resistance in the hub but not locked up as yawl suggest it should be. she also has a new serpentine belt, and a good fan shroud. the fins in the radiator are clean along with the condensor and trans cooler....
Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

yeah i had a dumb moment freegdr.... pls forgive me must of been that 14hr dya that got too me. anyways the air flow behind the fan feels good, but coming through the rad doesnt seem to be a whole lot..... like i said when the engine is at op temp and is turned off their is a little resistance in the hub but not locked up as yawl suggest it should be. she also has a new serpentine belt, and a good fan shroud. the fins in the radiator are clean along with the condensor and trans cooler....

So hard to diagnose a faulty clutch fan. Probably oughta replace it
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM

alright just replaced the fan clutch and took it for a little drive. got it 210 and rechecked the operation of the fan clutch. it still pretty much freewheels at op temp. i spun it around 5 revolutions and it ne ver locked up. guess im going to go get another hub. should i get one from mopar? or go to napa?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM

They don't really lock up. Drive it for a day or two.

I've used Napa units with good luck. You can always get teh 272310 from Napa. It pulls more air than stock but some find it rather noisy.

Quick Reply: running warm?