Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

running rough 92 xj

Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990-92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Unhappy running rough 92 xj

I'm new on here been figuring problems out on my own but now need help cause, Having a hard time try-en to figure out the problem with my xj. When trying to go down the road about half throttle cuts out and seems like no more power, back fires and sputters then starts going again. I got it running better than it was by replacing cts, o2s,and tps but still there. Spark and fuel seem to be fine but haven checked specs though. Ive been dumping money into it and not solving the problem. I have a weird knock in motor when gun it and sometime when shut down could there be something on the inside messing with the way it runs? This has been a pain idk what to do anymore, Help would be appreciated very much

Last edited by jeepxjcherokee; 05-07-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: change info
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Sounds like timing is off. Especially since u say u shut it down and it knocks.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM

what would make the timing off? timing chain and gears or disturber?

Last edited by jeepxjcherokee; 05-07-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 PM

ill check that now thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Sounds like the fuel delivery could be cutting out. You may want to check the filter. I believe you have an in-line one which will make it a lot easier to check as opposed to the 97 and up in tank set up.. It could also be that the distributor cap and rotor are suspect. It sounds like you're going to check on that..
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

You said in your OP that you replaced the CTS did you mean CPS? Also as mentioned before, the cap and rotor, plugs and wires, battery and all other ground wires are also in need of inspection as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
You said in your OP that you replaced the CTS did you mean CPS? Also as mentioned before, the cap and rotor, plugs and wires, battery and all other ground wires are also in need of inspection as well.
"the coolant temp sensor" replaced cause that's what i thought first. i check the plugs wires cap and rotor out they look alright not bad. hmm i did have a problem with exploding fuel filter a while back so have a good filter and clean system on there but haven check the pump out in awhile, that sucks about the in tank thing

Last edited by jeepxjcherokee; 05-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM

well going to check tomorrow fuel pump and fuel pressure, cap rotor plugs and wires and grounds let u know what i find thanks for the help
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 AM

just drove it and ran like poop i disconnected the coolant temp sensor and run a lot better but problem still there why would that be? maybe makes the engine run in a different setting like if it was cold or hot idk it make no sense
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepxjcherokee
just drove it and ran like poop i disconnected the coolant temp sensor and run a lot better but problem still there why would that be? maybe makes the engine run in a different setting like if it was cold or hot idk it make no sense
Sometimes if they censor is faulty unplugging it will ultimately cause it to run smoother because there is a at least a consistent signal as opposed to a widely varied signal... Your engine uses several different computers and sensors to monitor and balance its operation. Therefore if one is faulty sometimes removing it from the equation will help it run smoother but in the end it won't help the performance: gas mileage and that sort of thing..

Have you hooked up to a diagnostics computer that can actually show you specific sensor functions? This can give you a good direction to go in and also save a lot of headache and a lot of money!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Your a 92 XJ so I think you're ODB one so you should be able to plug a computer into it.. I could be mistaken. But I think you should be able to..
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM

I didnt get to check it out today had to work to make some more money. had a code the other day it was running lean on o2 sensor so i replaced it too so new o2 sensor and coolant temp sensor still gotta check fuel system out ill let u know what i find i soon as i find out thanks again
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Unplugging that sensor forces it into open loop mode, ignoring most sensors, instead running off of preset tables. That generally includes a slightly richer than normal mixture. X2 on checking fuel pressure.
The wiring to your o2 sensor intact and undamaged?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 AM

ya thats what i thought. ya wires are all good on o2 sensor so thinking more to a fuel issue what about the crank positioning sensor could it be messing up causing the problem? i would think if it went bad wouldn't run at all?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ya thats what i thought. ya wires are all good on o2 sensor so thinking more to a fuel issue what about the crank positioning sensor could it be messing up causing the problem? i would think if it went bad wouldn't run at all?
Normally they work or they don't, it's basically just a switch. Occasionally they go intermittent, but you'd have a noticeable miss or stall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: running rough 92 xj