Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running lights and dome light not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Running lights and dome light not working

Hi,

I'm a new member here to Cherokeeforum, but I've used this site many times for several years to help me with countless jeep projects.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I recently replaced my headlight switch under the dash because my headlights would work for around 30 minutes then start flickering and work intermittently. I started with the switch due to being cheap and easy to replace.

The switch is fully replaced and the headlights work fine, but now none of my running lights nor instrument panel lights work. The dome light works but it only works when the driver door is open, it does not work when the headlight **** is fully turned and the door is closed.

After a lot of searching and reading I can't find any discussion that addresses this specific problem.

I'm wondering if I maybe unplugged something under the dash while I was replacing the switch? I feel like a randomly unplugged connector is unlikely as I've looked at a lot of wiring diagrams which seem to indicate that the dome light, running light, and instrument panel lights all run through the headlight switch, which is plugged in and working for the headlights.

I've gone under the dash again and done a lot of wiggling and re-tightening the wiring harness to make sure it's firmly seated on the new switch, but nothing has happened, not even a flicker in the dome light or instrument panel. I have also done a very through inspection of my fuses, all of which appear to be in good condition. I have not done any electrical work at all in a couple years, everything has been working fine until the headlights started flickering. This is a base model so the electronics are limited. No power windows, mirrors, seats, etc.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I ended up taking the new switch out and putting the old one back in. The old switch worked for the dome light and running lights. I then removed the old switch and put the new one in again. This time everything works now (headlights, running lights, instrument cluster) except the dome light still doesn't come on via the switch. I guess the Jeep just wanted to say goodbye to the old switch one last time...