Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

RockAuto manifold(s) gasket in a no no

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6
Default RockAuto manifold(s) gasket in a no no

Had my motor rebuilt, and had this manifold gasket since day 1. Threw it on last night and the ports are huge. Use caution if you ever get one. Went to parts store and just picked up a felpro. Here is a pic, you can see I learned the hard way and had exhaust blow outs at every port.

New gasket is on the bottom. I never even thought to verify, especially since the leaks were on the bottom side of the manifold. Couldn't see them without folding myself in half under the jeep. New gasket on, runs and sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails RockAuto manifold(s) gasket in a no no-image-1582258036.jpg  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

2 different style gaskets, you had the wrong application.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
2 different style gaskets, you had the wrong application.
2 types? Like HO and not?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

One of those gaskets is for the 0630 heads found on pre-'99 XJs. The other is for the 0331 head found on the 2000 and 2001 XJ, which is prone to cracking.

Did you swap heads to the 0630 with the engine rebuild?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
One of those gaskets is for the 0630 heads found on pre-'99 XJs. The other is for the 0331 head found on the 2000 and 2001 XJ, which is prone to cracking. Did you swap heads to the 0630 with the engine rebuild?
nope. But that explains it. Even tho I ordered parts for the 2000..
Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yup. The larger ports is for 0630 head. I was pissed off when they gave me gasket intended for a 0331 head for my '99. Had to cut the holes larger
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I've found that the best bet for these gaskets is to get an OEM gasket from the dealer. They don't cost much more than aftermarket gaskets and are a dead nuts fit.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by CCKen
I've found that the best bet for these gaskets is to get an OEM gasket from the dealer. They don't cost much more than aftermarket gaskets and are a dead nuts fit.
And if its incorrect just drive over and swap it .
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by freegdr

Same applies on a few other parts as well. When a local parts store has some items I buy them instead of ordering online for that very reason, except for OEM sensors then I use an online Jeep dealer for those because of price.

If we don't start using local dealers, sellers not just for auto parts but a lot of other items were going to lose them and that will be a terrible thing. Look at what has happened to all to many of our small towns now after a Wal-Mart has came to town, Very Sad all the small mom and pops business's gone now.

It would be a bad deal if we lost even more brick and mortar stores of the few we have left.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by freegdr

The dealer charges a restocking fee.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Same applies on a few other parts as well. When a local parts store has some items I buy them instead of ordering online for that very reason, except for OEM sensors then I use an online Jeep dealer for those because of price. If we don't start using local dealers, sellers not just for auto parts but a lot of other items were going to lose them and that will be a terrible thing. Look at what has happened to all to many of our small towns now after a Wal-Mart has came to town, Very Sad all the small mom and pops business's gone now. It would be a bad deal if we lost even more brick and mortar stores of the few we have left.
I hate wal mart.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
The dealer charges a restocking fee.
Not here if they give you the wrong part. Now if you ask for wrong part they do.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Same applies on a few other parts as well. When a local parts store has some items I buy them instead of ordering online for that very reason, except for OEM sensors then I use an online Jeep dealer for those because of price.

If we don't start using local dealers, sellers not just for auto parts but a lot of other items were going to lose them and that will be a terrible thing. Look at what has happened to all to many of our small towns now after a Wal-Mart has came to town, Very Sad all the small mom and pops business's gone now.

It would be a bad deal if we lost even more brick and mortar stores of the few we have left.
Too late for florida big stores and online shopping has pretty much made them obsolete . Its sad this is happening it used to be more about the sales man/customer experince now its all about the evil dollar.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Sorry, but I wouldn't go back to the mom and pop era for anything. Back then you were stuck with what you could get in your town at whatever price they wanted to charge. Now I can get practically anything delivered to my door without some goof jacking up the price just because he's the only guy in town who has it or can get it. If they can't compete in a changing marketplace, something else will take their place.

If a choice has to be made, I'll take the internet age over warped nostalgia for mom and pop stores.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Sorry, but I wouldn't go back to the mom and pop era for anything. Back then you were stuck with what you could get in your town at whatever price they wanted to charge. Now I can get practically anything delivered to my door without some goof jacking up the price just because he's the only guy in town who has it or can get it. If they can't compete in a changing marketplace, something else will take their place.

If a choice has to be made, I'll take the internet age over warped nostalgia for mom and pop stores.
Have to agree there. I went to high school in rural Oklahoma where the only chains were McDonald's and Church's chicken. Restaurants sucked. Hardware stores sucked. Appliance stores were a joke. One got shut down by the feds for the old "Bait and Switch" tactics. Auto parts stores were hit or miss. I often had to check several stores to find even the most common parts.

Say what you will about Walmart, but back the 80s, it was a Godsend for rural Oklahoma. They carried items you'd otherwise have to drive to Oklahoma City to get and they sold it at a very good price. Of course, this was when Sam himself ran the company.

Another problem with Mom & Pop stores is they tended to operate 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday and close on every holiday. I can't support a business when it's open only when I'm at work or school.

Yes, it's nice to visit a traditional establishment where you know the owners and they know the customers. Beyond that, there's not much benefit.