Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rim Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Chevy 2.8L V6
Default Rim Spacers?

Hey. I just put a 3 inch rough country lift on my 84 XJ, and a set of 31X8s on the stock rims. But, now I can only turn the wheel one full revolution, maybe an eight of a turn more, and the wheels rub (with a really violent sound, they are pretty beefy) on the inside of the fenders. My wheels always rubbed a little, before the lift or tires. So, if I bought a spacer to let me restore my turning radius, what would be recommended? Cause right now my turning radius is unacceptable, I can't make good turns into the street without going a couple feet into the wrong lane.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Change rim. I have 3.5 inch lift and my wheels have 4 inch BS
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Change rim. I have 3.5 inch lift and my wheels have 4 inch BS
Any vehicles that might have a good rim stock to use? It needs to be similar to the stock XJ rims.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Flying Jester
Any vehicles that might have a good rim stock to use? It needs to be similar to the stock XJ rims.
I would go with a 15x8 with a 4 inch back spacing. The wheel will stick out just a lil past the flares. Nothing crazy, but just enough to count.

I recommend spacers, though. They are cheaper and will suffice just like the rims. You're just changing the backspacing of your stock wheels with a more cost effective piece. It really just boils down to how much do you want to spend.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

If the lift came with LCA's (Lower Control Arms), either get rims w/proper offset or wheel spacers... your tires are rubbing the control arms... if you're using the stock LCA's, swap 'em to 2000-ish Grand Cherokee LCA's... they have an "S" bend in them for tire clearance... if you go w/the GC control arms, you will have to "clearance" the rear bushings a bit, they are a little wider than your stock ones... very doable...
LCA swap link: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...rms/WJ_LCA.htm

Last edited by mopar440; 05-10-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: pasted link
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

running 15x7 GC Canyons and had the same problem. Put 1.25" spacers on and there's no rub. Very cost efficient - especially when you get 'em off craigslist!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

I won't tell you to not use spacers, because as soon as I do five people will jump in and tell you there great. But every week I tow at least one 4 wheeler that lost a wheel going down the road. and they've all had spacers on them.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mike mike
I won't tell you to not use spacers, because as soon as I do five people will jump in and tell you there great. But every week I tow at least one 4 wheeler that lost a wheel going down the road. and they've all had spacers on them.
Not to mention the fact that the farther out the wheel is, the more leverage you put on the already not-the-strongest-in-the-world front hub/unit bearing...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike mike
Ive never trusted the whole concept of spacers either.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Ok, I just looked up spacers, and they are (to me anyway) a hose job...$120!? I'm really considering something a little more junkyardesque... how about I use long lugbolts from a dodge 3500 that came with duals, and then add in a set of lug nuts to make a spacer? I can get one inch easy then. I really don't want to spend total of $400 on a jeep that was free.

Could I notch my LCAs? if I half-box them after, they should be strong enough, I imagine.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter

i think this is what your asking for? http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wheel_spacers.html
Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Well, I would use it, but they refuse to ship PO to Alaska, so it's $70 shipping, which is unacceptable. I had to buy my RC lift from a website called Jeep Parts Guy (which I highly recommend, especially for those in the great white north).
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Ok, I just looked up spacers, and they are (to me anyway) a hose job...$120!? I'm really considering something a little more junkyardesque... how about I use long lugbolts from a dodge 3500 that came with duals, and then add in a set of lug nuts to make a spacer? I can get one inch easy then. I really don't want to spend total of $400 on a jeep that was free.

Could I notch my LCAs? if I half-box them after, they should be strong enough, I imagine.
how about I use long lugbolts from a dodge 3500 that came with duals, and then add in a set of lug nuts to make a spacer? I can get one inch easy then

Really? Tell me you aren't really considering this... if so, just make sure there are no other vehicles/people around when you drive this thing, 'cause when your wheels fall off, they will hurt someone! Just suck it up and find some ZJ lower control arms and call it good... not to mention the fact that the Ddoge 3500 studs are the wrong diameter for your hubs... ever seen a wheel/tire come off a rig at 60? I have... results were not pretty...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Ah, the death wobble keeps me below 40 anyway. There ain't no alignment places in rural Alaska.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Ah, the death wobble keeps me below 40 anyway. There ain't no alignment places in rural Alaska.
I can imagine- I had to go to four alignment shops before I found one that would touch a lifted Jeep, and they wanted big $$ for it. I finally (after about 8 calls) found a place that would do it for a reasonable amount of money. Thankfully I live near Chicago so all 12 shops I went to and called were within 30 minutes of home. :-)

If it were me, I would just bite the bullet and get some cheap steel wheels from JC Whitney or the like- they are only about $40 each, but shipping to AK may kill that deal too.

Quick Reply: Rim Spacers?