Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reverse light problem. Dumb idea for fix?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default Reverse light problem. Dumb idea for fix?

So my reverse lights don't always go on and I know it has to do with the NSS but there is a bypass on there because it won't start of it's not on and I don't have the time and $$ to fix it or replace it. Is it possible to just rewire my reverse lights as auxiliary lights so I can just flip a switch to turn them on and won't have to wonder if they are on or not when I'm backing up. I know it's avoiding the root cause of the problem and one day I will fix it but would that be a good temporary fix until I have the time to properly fix the NSS and make sure it works. I'm not doing that in the first place because I don't wan to risk my jeep not starting as it is my DD
Old 01-26-2016, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

why not just hook up a simple fog light for the time being.
i wouldn't hack into the wiring just for that. also, you should go with an aftermarket switch with a light on it so you know if you forgot to shut it off.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I agree don't hack up the wiring just add a cheap WalMart fog light for a backup, a set is usually about $20 with wiring, switch, relays.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by caged
why not just hook up a simple fog light for the time being.
i wouldn't hack into the wiring just for that. also, you should go with an aftermarket switch with a light on it so you know if you forgot to shut it off.
Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I agree don't hack up the wiring just add a cheap WalMart fog light for a backup, a set is usually about $20 with wiring, switch, relays.
Ok. I'll look into it. I can buy the wiring and lit rocker switch and fuse for under $20 at a local electronics store if the lights don't come with the stuff?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

i used to have the same problem, it is the NSS but a cheap way to fix it that worked for me was to just take it off and simply clean it. all you need is break cleaner and dielectric grease, and a few tools. Its not that hard if you have a little mechanic experience.
here is how to clean it:
Old 02-16-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Valdez0_0
i used to have the same problem, it is the NSS but a cheap way to fix it that worked for me was to just take it off and simply clean it. all you need is break cleaner and dielectric grease, and a few tools. Its not that hard if you have a little mechanic experience.
here is how to clean it:
I will do it again but my dad did that when it stopped working and they still had to bypass it because it wouldn't start. I could try again. If it doesn't work I could just bypass it again right?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

My young friend you need a part time job to be able support driving a car of any kind if even the very small parts (cost wise) like this create problems from driving it.

This is a "Safety Switch" and you should not just bypass it for that reason.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM

My young friend you need a part time job to be able support driving a car of any kind if even the very small parts (cost wise) like this create problems from driving it.

I'm applying to a bunch of places but I have a job pretty set in stone at a concert place but I want to do a little more work than just 5 hours 3 nights a week. And I told my dad that so once I can pay for fixing the NSS or getting a new one I will. My parents didn't expect all of this fixing being needed when they gave me my jeep. once I get a steady cash flow I'm going to fix the things that have temporary fixes (NSS bypass for example) and a bunch of other things and then move on to mods.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Liam i hope your able to find a job full or part time. it will help out tons, believe me. hell i have now been working in some form or another for almost 20yrs, weather it was around my grandpa's shop or at a real job.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Liam i hope your able to find a job full or part time. it will help out tons, believe me. hell i have now been working in some form or another for almost 20yrs, weather it was around my grandpa's shop or at a real job.
Yeah. 80% of my last paycheck a went towards my jeep so I definitely see your point. I'm also going to take a couple welding classes to be able to do minor fab myself so I don't have to pay someone when it comes up and just for fun. But yeah. School first, and then get a job to pay for everything else as you said. It will be part time though.