Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement 12v power outlet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default replacement 12v power outlet?

Hey all,

Recently I've noticed that my drivers side switched 12V power outlet / receptacle stopped working. I've checked the fuses and they seem to be good. I've also tested out other adapters to make sure it wasnt the adapter that was bad.

I believe the problem itself is in the receptacle. Not sure how common it is for these to go out, but I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy a replacement. Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy one that fits an 01 XJ?

Thank you! & I hope you all had a great xmas!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There's not much to go wrong in those outlets aside maybe from corrosion. Did you check that the wiring is actually delivering 12V to the socket? Is the ground OK?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Pull it out and clean the contacts
Old 12-28-2015, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by erykv1
Hey all,

Recently I've noticed that my drivers side switched 12V power outlet / receptacle stopped working. I've checked the fuses and they seem to be good. I've also tested out other adapters to make sure it wasnt the adapter that was bad.

I believe the problem itself is in the receptacle. Not sure how common it is for these to go out, but I cannot seem to find anywhere to buy a replacement. Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy one that fits an 01 XJ?

Thank you! & I hope you all had a great xmas!
An idea how to get that out? I put factory fogs in an '00 that did not come with them. Got the factory fog light switch bezel from the boneyard. Figured I would just swap over my switches, power plug and cigarette lighter from mine because I knew they all worked. For the life of me I could not figure out how to remove the power plug and cigarette lighter. Could not find anything online. Even the guy at the Jeep dealership said he thinks they use a special tool. Luckily they worked in the boneyard part but it is something I still want to know how to do. If you know please tell me.

Last edited by Ralph77; 12-28-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler65
There's not much to go wrong in those outlets aside maybe from corrosion. Did you check that the wiring is actually delivering 12V to the socket? Is the ground OK?
Yes, my amp is getting its remote 12V lead from this socket. The amp still works which is why I think its the receptacle itself.

Originally Posted by ehall
Pull it out and clean the contacts
Ok I will try this!

Originally Posted by Ralph77
An idea how to get that out? I put factory fogs in an '00 that did not come with them. Got the factory fog light switch bezel from the boneyard. Figured I would just swap over my switches, power plug and cigarette lighter from mine because I new they all worked. For the life of me I could not figure out how to remove the power plug and cigarette lighter. Could not find anything online. Even the guy at the Jeep dealership said he thinks they use a special tool. Luckily they worked in the boneyard part but it is something I still want to know how to do. If you know please tell me.
I'll check it out and report back. I always thought it was a tab that retained it inside the panel. I'll have to pop out the whole bezel and look again.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by erykv1
Yes, my amp is getting its remote 12V lead from this socket. The amp still works which is why I think its the receptacle itself.

Ok I will try this!

I'll check it out and report back. I always thought it was a tab that retained it inside the panel. I'll have to pop out the whole bezel and look again.
If you can figure it out please. I am not the sharpest pencil in the box but for the life of me.........
Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 88

It is a pain to get out from what I remember but it's possible you have to use two small screwdrivers and wiggle and push out at the same time. More then likely youll break something as they are stubborn to remove I'll mess with the extra ones I have to see if I remember an easier way to get them out.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hbracing13
It is a pain to get out from what I remember but it's possible you have to use two small screwdrivers and wiggle and push out at the same time. More then likely youll break something as they are stubborn to remove I'll mess with the extra ones I have to see if I remember an easier way to get them out.
Thank You. Looking forward to your post. Put factory fogs in a '00 that did not have them. Stole the bezel from a boneyard factory fog Jeep. Just figured I would swap over everything from mine since I knew they worked. Could not figure out the power plug to save my life. Figured I would break something. Could not find anything online. Even the guy at the Jeep dealership I deal with said he thinks they have a special tool. Turned out they worked so I used them but I still want to know anyway.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Thank You. Looking forward to your post. Put factory fogs in a '00 that did not have them. Stole the bezel from a boneyard factory fog Jeep. Just figured I would swap over everything from mine since I knew they worked. Could not figure out the power plug to save my life. Figured I would break something. Could not find anything online. Even the guy at the Jeep dealership I deal with said he thinks they have a special tool. Turned out they worked so I used them but I still want to know anyway.
Did ypu ever figure I out?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 AM
CF Veteran

Did ypu ever figure I out?
No. I have not played with it hoping for a detailed answer. Then kinda of forgot about it until I saw your post again. Do not need to know but want to. Just would like to have this knowledge if and when I need it. It is just that I initially figured, when doing my factory fog light install, how hard could it be. Sad thing is if I ever do find out how it will probably be easy. Then again anything is easy once you know how.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

No. I have not played with it hoping for a detailed answer. Then kinda of forgot about it until I saw your post again. Do not need to know but want to. Just would like to have this knowledge if and when I need it. It is just that I initially figured, when doing my factory fog light install, how hard could it be. Sad thing is if I ever do find out how it will probably be easy. Then again anything is easy once you know how.
I was looking at it the other day and remember what I did to remove it. Its not the right way but it's really simple and can easily be fixed. I used some hose pliers and you crush the metal in slightly and it allows the plug to be removed. Since its not hard but not soft either you can actually form the metal back where it locks in place and won't come out.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

I was looking at it the other day and remember what I did to remove it. Its not the right way but it's really simple and can easily be fixed. I used some hose pliers and you crush the metal in slightly and it allows the plug to be removed. Since its not hard but not soft either you can actually form the metal back where it locks in place and won't come out.
Thanks. Going to get a boneyard one to play with and see. Have access to a couple boneyards cause of my job and they most likely won't charge me for it. They like me for some reason and let me pretty much do what I want within reason.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:38 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998

An idea how to get that out? I put factory fogs in an '00 that did not come with them. Got the factory fog light switch bezel from the boneyard. Figured I would just swap over my switches, power plug and cigarette lighter from mine because I knew they all worked. For the life of me I could not figure out how to remove the power plug and cigarette lighter. Could not find anything online. Even the guy at the Jeep dealership said he thinks they use a special tool. Luckily they worked in the boneyard part but it is something I still want to know how to do. If you know please tell me.
Posting this here as well in case someone searches and finds this thread.

I just pulled my lighter and power sockets the other day, so let me post up how to do it. It's a bit of a *****, but once you figure it out it's not too bad.

Here's a pic of the back side of the bezel. Both the lighter and power sockets work the same way. As you can see from the white arrows, there are two small tabs that stick out on the bezel, just about flush with the rear of the opening.

These two black plastic tabs fit into the square cutouts in the barrel of the socket, as seen in the second picture.

When it's fully assembled, you can see the black plastic inside the holes when looking into the opening of the plug. The third pic shows it almost all the way seated, but I didn't push it all the way in so I wouldn't have to get it back out.

The trick to getting the damned things out is simultaneously prying both black tabs back enough to clear the holes while pulling the barrel of the plug out. The metal often likes to stick to the plastic after so many years, so you sometimes have to wiggle it loose with a little extra gusto. What I did to pry the tabs out is get two tiny screwdrivers like you use for eyeglasses and stick then down between the plastic bezel and the barrel of the socket right next to the two tabs. Wedge them in there far enough, and the tabs will be pulled back enough to get the barrel to pull out.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

I finally figured it out not to long ago. Problem I have been running into though is that sometimes you get the plug a little of of round. If you don't plan on reusing it you are good. If you want to it might just be a enough out of round to not clip on the 2 tabs.