Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing ABS with non ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default Replacing ABS with non ABS

Hey guys, new Jeep cherokee owner here needing some guidance. I bought my '90 xj limited a couple months ago. The other day my ABS system failed on me. My mechanic says it needs a new ABS pump motor. 450 for the part plus labor, or possibly 200 plus labor if found at the scrap yard. My question is, is it worth replacing the ABS motor, or should I attempt to swap it out with a non ABS system? I have no idea what that would take. I have only done very limited work on Cars myself, so this would more than likely be done by my mechanic. Specifically, what are all the parts I need if I replace it with a non ABS? And can I get them from just about any car or should I stick with jeep Cherokees? Could I get the parts i need from a grand cherokee, and does the year matter? I'm totally new to all this so I'd really appreciate any responses, thanks!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If you have the Bendix 9 system with the two "accumulators" (high pressure vessels), the pump has a lifetime recall/warranty from Chrysler. Go visit the dealership.
Just as a FYI, before doing ANY work on that system, pump the brake pedal 50-60 times with the key OFF to dump the pressure out of those accumulators. It's in the thousand # range and can kill you.

That isn't the best ABS system out there, it's temperamental and failure can leave you with reduced or no braking. Most folks recommend trashcanning it. 96+ master cylinder/booster is preferred although earlier will fit. Grab the proportioning block too and plan on re-doing the front lines.