Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

renix tps... TOTAL WTF!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: The venerable 4.0

I am SOOOOOOOOO confused. I have a 90 renix automatic aw4. The renix fuel injection manual says I should have two integral connectors, one for the computer one for trans. The computer should be about .8 volts and go up. The trans should be about 4 volts and go down. I only have one connector. It is 3.8 volts and goes down. Wtf!! Sometimes I get high idle sometimes not. Anyone else have this and know what's up? I can't see how this couldn't be.correct as there is only one connector coming from the tps and only one from the harness. It is a square 4 wire connector but there are only 3 wires going in and 3 going out.... if this is correct I have no clue where I would get a replacement as the parts stores only list the tps with two connectors. Now I'm freakin out.

Last edited by Slick761; 08-07-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT

Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using one lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the other lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION:

RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.

Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.

Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.

Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:

RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.

However, the automatic TPS also has a four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D.. For the automatic transmission equipped vehicles the four-wire connector
provides data to the TCU.

Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.

Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.

So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.

For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tjwalker
RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT

Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using one lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the other lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION:

RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.

Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.

Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.

Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:

RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.

However, the automatic TPS also has a four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D.. For the automatic transmission equipped vehicles the four-wire connector
provides data to the TCU.

Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.

Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.

So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.

For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Yes but see I only have one connector and my ride is auto. The square one, and I only have 3 wires.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Anyone? Any total renix gurus on??
Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure your Xj isnt a late 1990 model, maybe its not actually a renix. a renix should have 2 connectors for the TPS, and the non-renix's should have 1.

my '88 has 2 connectors, and my '94 only has one (both auto)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

It is late but its def. A renix. the tps is adjustable like the others but it isn't like the part listed for a 90 or 91. I'm going to take a picture. No idea where I would get a replacement!!!! Everything else (tb, egr, exhaust + head) is definitely renix.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Year: 1996

this the "two" part TPS your talking about? im curious as to what years the renix is, mine is a 92 and is not a renix

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1376.htm

Last edited by Mrjw1996; 08-07-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: link
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Now that I got another chance to look and started peeling back tape guess what... WE HAVE TAMPERING! I thought I had fixed all the wiring f'ups done by the po.... SURPRISE!
Attached Thumbnails renix tps... TOTAL WTF!!!!-forumrunner_20110807_121958.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

All I can say is really? REALLY!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails renix tps... TOTAL WTF!!!!-forumrunner_20110807_122229.jpg   renix tps... TOTAL WTF!!!!-forumrunner_20110807_122246.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bingo

I think you have found your problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Can anyone help me out and confirm what color goes to what please. Grey blue black grey blue black off tps and I've got red grey Orange on trans side and yellow greenish and brown on computer side. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You're missing the flat 3 wire connector for the engine side of the TPS, the one that sends info to the ECU. Someone obviously eliminated it for some reason.

"A" would be Gray on the TPS side and Blue with Black tracer on harness side.
"B" would be Black on both the TPS and harness sides.
"C" would be Kark Blue on the TPS side and Yellow on the harness side.

I would be unwrapping that electrical tape and making sure those wires are soldered together.

As for the square 4 wire connector, it goes to the Transmission Control Unit aka TCU. And yes, it only has three wires in it.

Using the instructions that tjwolker posted above you should now be able to check/adjust your TPS.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Shouldn't the ecu side have a ground and an input voltage? Testing the wires I have like .7 volts coming out of two wires at the engine side. Are these straight from the ecu? Could my ecu be bad?

Last edited by Slick761; 08-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Anyone know if I can just splice into the input from the trans to run the ecu side of my tps? Would this cause problems with the trans side?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Alright got t figured. It's a bad ecu. Instead of splicing I guess ill bite the bullet and head to pick n pull. My tps has a very flat spot off idle so maybe ill find a good one of those too.$$$$

Quick Reply: renix tps... TOTAL WTF!!!!