Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Recharging ac if it hasn't been working for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Recharging ac if it hasn't been working for awhile?

Is there any risk in charging the AC back up to the proper level (will use a proper gauge set) and seeing if that gets it to work? I got the Jeep last August and the AC hasn't worked in the time I've owned it. Clutch doesn't engage.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Before recharging the system it needs to be evaced first then I would run a dye through it to check for leaks being it was empty. Once you have any leaks fixed then recharge and add oil to the mix while doing so.

I expect you will find other issues when you check.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

My main concern would be the o-rings drying out from not being used for so long. The a/c should be run even during the winter atleast once for a couple minutes as the freon lubes the o-rings, keeping them 'fresh' come summertime. However, others in my family have driven for just as long without using the a/c and there were no issues, so you might be ok. Still 50/50.

The clutch not working could be an electrical issue, the clutch/compressor itself somehow, or it is simply too low a charge for it to come on. My guess is the charge is too low. You could recharge it and see if that fixes it, but if there is a leak anywhere in the system you are back to square one, buying more freon, or whatever else it may need.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Right. I swapped the relay and checked the fuse for it. I figure I can try charging it, or at least check the pressures with the gauges to get a better picture of what is going on.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I just got done charging my AC too. If I were you, I would go get the O Ring Kit from parts. Store, only a few dollars, then replace all the o rings (lubing them during install). Doesn't take very long and you won't have to worry about any leaks now or in the near future. Also,,make sure you take it to a shop and have the system evacuated before doing this, then you can rent vacuum pump and lines. Pull a vacuum and let it sit to see if it leaks. After about an hour, if no leaks, go ahead an charge the system and add oil to like OD said. Also, you can add some UV die if you want so if you were too ever have any leaks in the future, they will be easy to find.

This is the video I used, it's on a Toyota Tacoma but it's basically the same as any other vehicle. He goes through all the steps and talks about adding oil and UV die like we talked about.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

And for the clutch, check too see if your getting 12v at the compressor wire. Then you'll know if it's wiring or the compressor. It could also be that your refrigerant level is too low which keeps the compressor from turning on to keep from damaging the system.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Got the readings, both are at 0.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM

No need to discharge it then. You're going to need to figure out where the leak is. I'd rent a vacuum pump and gauges to start. Pull vacuum and see if it holds (doubtful) Charge it up as cheaply as possible and add dye. Its the only way you'll find your leak. If you don't spot the dye anywhere under the hood then most likely your evaporator is leaking which is a known trouble spot on xj's. If that's the case you'll be pulling the dash to replace it.