Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rebuilt engine and still have code p301

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default rebuilt engine and still have code p301

2000 jeep cherokee 4wd 6cyl.

cliffs on my problems
-I ran the jeep hot(bad water pump)
-idled rough afterwards and showed 301 code
-shop said it was blown head gasket
-I ended up having the whole motor rebuilt due to high miles
-I get it back and its running better but still not idleing as smooth as it should (seems to idle better cold than hot)
-after about 100 miles engine light back on -P301, went off on its own for a day or two and now back on for good I think.
-I can hear fuel injector clicking with screwdriver
-new plugs and boots installed w/motor

I think I'm gonna get a new coil tomorrow. When I unplug #1 injector there is no change at idle but its clicking. I'm I heading in the right direction here? Really don't wanna waste money on coil if I don't need it. Since I can hear the injector clicking is it pretty certain that it's working? Also do ya'll think I did much damage on the new motor by running it during break- in like this. When I get on the gas pedal it runs smooth and has good power so I'm thinking it's running on all 6 cyl. then but is having problems while idling. Thanks for any suggestions. sorry for the length but trying not to leave anything out. thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

A new coil rail is expensive and not returnable to most places.

I would try swapping the injector to another cylinder and see if the miss moves with it.....
If not need to check and make sure #1 injector is getting the proper signal to it.
Even though its been rebuilt compression test the motor and if they are all good then try new a coil pack.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This is a fresh rebuild. Take it back to the rebuilder and give them a chance to resolve this. They should be standing behind this with it fresh out of the shop.....

At the very least, they should verify that the problem you are experiencing doesn't have anything to do with the work performed.....
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

appreciate the help. I'll probably end up taking it back to the shop but I'm pretty sure their gonna say that the problem has nothing to do with what they did and try to charge me more money. Seems like thats how all the shops around here do things-wont even look at things without charging you. Pisses me off really. If I had the time back when the cyl head gasket blew I would have replaced myself but I'm busy.

Also I forgot to say that I have swapped #1 and #2 injector and problem stayed the same. I reused the old o rings though. This was before the new motor. The only reason I carried to a mechanic is due to time and needing to get it fixed quick.

Appreciate the help but I still think it has to be my coil but I hate to just throw parts(money) at it. Any other things I should check?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rmart30
A new coil rail is expensive and not returnable to most places.

I would try swapping the injector to another cylinder and see if the miss moves with it.....
If not need to check and make sure #1 injector is getting the proper signal to it.
Even though its been rebuilt compression test the motor and if they are all good then try new a coil pack.
How could I check to see if injector is getting the proper signal? It ticks when its plugged in and doesn't when its unplugged. Also before the new motor I had another mechanic troubleshooting it and he said he switched the #1 and#2 injectors and no change. He also said he swapped another coil on and no change-ended up putting my old coil back on. Mechanic #1 told me my headgasket was fine and mechanic #2 said it was blown. Something's got to give lol. I've put about $3200 dollars in and I'm still having problems. Thanks for the help
Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression check maybe? I recall having a problem with a durango that a harness pin for an injector was backing out at the pcm plug. Try a continuity test from the pcm side of the harness to the injector plug. Or noid lights can tell you too if you can get them, they're pretty cheap.

Last edited by 5150mechanic; 12-08-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 PM

well p0301 is cyl 1 misfire, and if it was ran hot it could be a cracked head the heads on the 00-01 are weaker than the old ones, but a compression check should show that. the only other thing is spray some brake clean where the intake is bolted to the head to see if it trys to die then you just have a crappy intake gasket or they didnt tighten the bolts enough
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

1. Compression check to be sure

2. Noid light (cheap) to ensure injector firing

3. If coil was swapped B4 the rebuild, it is unlikely to be the cause, but yes....could be

4. I'd still talk to the shop about this? What have you got to lose? If you are nice about it and explain the pickle you are in, they may be more willing to help than you might think. At least give them a chance to **** you off!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Year: 1997

belive it or not i have seen worn out cam lobes cause a misfire, drove the guy crazy.