Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rebuilt Engine - 4.0 - 97 Cherokee - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Rebuilt Engine - 4.0 - 97 Cherokee - Won't Start

97 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Rebuilt engine, no start.

I just rebuilt the 4.0 l in my Jeep Cherokee. after reassembly i can not get it to start. I know i have spark, pretty sure i have fuel. When i placed the distributor i was nearly 100% sure i was at TDC on the compression stroke. With a timing light i was not able to see the timing mark anywhere around the proper position so i rotated the distributor 180 degrees, i now see the timing mark around 4 degrees before TDC. Still not starting.

I removed my timing cover (along with A LOT of other stuff) thinking perhaps i had the timing chain 1 tooth off. It appears my timing chain is on correctly.

I have replaced the crank sensor, though the original tested good too. I have double checked all wiring and am not seeing anything left out.

I checked my codes and did see one for the Throttle position sensor reading high. Could that cause this issue.

At this point i have removed my timing chain again, I am reluctent to put the timing chain back on before i know 100% positive i am putting it on properly.

My book shows i should have 15 pins between the timing marks with the crank timing mark at about 3 o'clock posistion. However it also shows i should have a 48 pins in the timing chain (assume that is pre 96), my jeep is a 97 and the replacement as well as the original timing chain have 64 Pins, i have read at several locations that i should have 20 pins between the timing marks. Can anyone confirm this?

I am at a real loss here, any help would be appreciated. When the snow comes i will be trapped...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

My book, up to 93 also says 15 pins, as a double check. First is says with the key on the crank, up, the marks, and the shaft centers should be in a straight line.

I think the cps and the puter' handle the timing and spark. The coil in the dizy might just help with injector timing. I'd line up the marks and try a shot of quick start. Hope it runs well for ya!

The dots go together, between the shaft centers.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 11-08-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: diagram
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Read my thread about "distributor/timing". There should be 20 pins when you have a 24 tooth crank gear and 48 tooth cam gear. Line the dots up. Rotate the crank until you have compression on #1 cylinder, continue to rotate crank until harmonic balancer timing mark lines up with 0* TDC. At this point you should be able to put the distributor in (with a guide pin inserted in the cam positioning sensor) and try to get the rotor to line up with the #1 cylinder spark plug wire on the cap.

I still have not finished mine and it does appear that I may need to grind off one of the tabs on the distributor to index it properly.

Make certin that you have good fuel pressure, oil pressure, power to the coil, good spark, and pulses to the fuel injectors.