Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Window Won't Roll Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear Window Won't Roll Up

1999 Cherokee Sport:
The other night, we rolled the back drivers side window down and when we got home, it wouldn't roll up.
We've disconnected the motor and get voltage (12ish volts) when we push the switch up or down but as soon as we connect the motor, there's 0 volts when trying to roll it up but it does get voltage when trying to roll down -- so when there's load on the wire, no voltage when rolling up.
The motor tests out fine and we get the same result with a brand new motor.

Unsure if it's related but it's worth mentioning: the passenger front window has never (since we got it) been able to roll down using the switch on that side. Only the driver can roll it up or down.
Until now, we didn't think that there was a problem with the back but when I checked tonight, the driver's master switch was the only thing that could control any of the windows whether the child lock was on or off (we don't remember if anyone has been able to use them in the past)

What am I looking at here?
Thank you in advance...

-Randy
Old 06-17-2017, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

If you jump switch does it work ?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
If you jump switch does it work ?
do you know which pins to jump together?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Ok, the passenger's front window never worked and now the rear window doesn't work? Did i get that right?

What i would do is get the front passenger window to work and then concentrate on the rear window.
Does the front passenger window work only from the driver's side and not the passenger side? Or both sides not working?

For the front window, two common failures.
One, broken wires in the harness between the front driver's side door jam and the A pillar.
Two, the driver's side window switch pod failures are notorious for causing front passenger windows to fail.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by moparado
Ok, the passenger's front window never worked and now the rear window doesn't work? Did i get that right?

What i would do is get the front passenger window to work and then concentrate on the rear window.
Does the front passenger window work only from the driver's side and not the passenger side? Or both sides not working?

For the front window, two common failures.
One, broken wires in the harness between the front driver's side door jam and the A pillar.
Two, the driver's side window switch pod failures are notorious for causing front passenger windows to fail.
thanks for the reply.
front passenger has never worked from the passenger side switch. It has always worked from the driver's side switch. Now, the back driver side will roll down but it won't roll up. Both the motor and the switch in the back driver side seem okay.
by driver side switch pod, do you mean the cluster of switches on the front driver's door? It does almost seem like the child safety switch isn't working correctly
Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

door locks and windows...
first q? are you looking at the window wiring page in a haynes svc manual.
it really shows all, much help when i had window and lock trouble, blind without it.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by Randy Strye
thanks for the reply.
front passenger has never worked from the passenger side switch. It has always worked from the driver's side switch. Now, the back driver side will roll down but it won't roll up. Both the motor and the switch in the back driver side seem okay.
by driver side switch pod, do you mean the cluster of switches on the front driver's door? It does almost seem like the child safety switch isn't working correctly
Not saying this is your issue with the front window but i had the exact same thing.
Passenger front worked ok from driver's side switch but not the passenger side switch.
It turned out to be the driver's side switch cluster as you call it.

Got a replacement off fleabay for around $35. Works fine 2 years later.
Its not just switches inside but also a printed circuit board where some solder joints fail over time.
There's a video somewhere on Utube describing how to repair it.
I didn't want to deal with it and just bought the replacement switch pod.

Like i said get the front working and there's a remote chance it'll fix the rear too. Wont know til you try it.
All window switches are tied one way or another into the driver's switch pod.

Both the motor and the switch in the back driver side seem okay.
What do you mean by this?
Does the front driver's switch work?
When you try to lift the rear window, do you hear the motor trying to do anything? Or silence with 0 motor Volts?

Other possibilities, the rear window could have a shot motor gear, weak motor or there is a mechanical bind which could cause the motor to stall maybe the reason you measured zero volts when trying to lift the window.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Follow up, in case anyone is curious..
First, I apologize I never replied.. for some reason, I didn't seem to have gotten a notification that there were replies.
Second, the problem is fixed.
It seems it was a combination of the front driver's side switch and the motor.
Strangest thing:
I got a new motor but it still would not roll up.
I got a new switch but again, it wouldn't roll up.
I replace both and it works.
Replacing the switch also solved the passenger side window issue as well, so two birds with one stone, I guess!