Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Delayed Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Delayed Shut Off

My trusty '97 XJ i6 4x4 had the following day:

1) Woke up, turned on fine
2) Died after a couple seconds
3) Thereafter, cranks strong, but won't start
4) This had happened previously, and at that time, it was a loose terminal on the ASD relay
5) Checked ASD relay, seemed loose, but reset it, did not help. Swapped ASD with another relay, no help
6) Checked fuel pressure (field test -- pressed shrader valve on fuel rail with a piece of wood), pressure seems normal
7) Swapped Fuel Pump relay with starter relay
8) Jeep starts right up, strong
9) Jeep sat for rest of day, then drove it this evening, a few short trips, ( on and off several times) seemed normal.
10) Parked it at home, after turning off and removing key, the engine continues to run for a few seconds, then dies ignominiously
11) Tested this several times, and it consistently occurs

Sorry for long post, I don't have enough experience to know what is important info or not

Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Probably need to start your testing at the ASD relay. You'll want to find out when the ignition is turned off at the key, whether the control side of the relay opens (as expected) but the power side stays closed (stuck in the "on" position). Or does the control side also stay "on" when the ignition is turned off at the key. But if one of those two things isn't happening, I don't think the motor could stay running (unless it was dieseling due to some timing/compression problem but based on your other notes I'm not thinking that is the case).
Old 07-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Can I ask -- how do I test the relay?

I understand one set of terminals is a "signal" and one set is the "power", and I do have (cheap walmart) multimeter.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mtyson
6) Checked fuel pressure (field test -- pressed shrader valve on fuel rail with a piece of wood), pressure seems normal

That doesn't really tell you much. 30 pounds will squirt out like 45, but it won't run your engine.

But, since it ran after the relay swap, your pressure is fine.

Sorry for long post, I don't have enough experience to know what is important info or not
Sorry, schmorry! That was perfect!

Can I ask -- how do I test the relay?

I understand one set of terminals is a "signal" and one set is the "power", and I do have (cheap walmart) multimeter.

Here are some helps:

Here's a good source for learning more about relays and electrical stuff in general:

http://www.the12volt.com/

Tons of good info there.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 07-16-2017 at 04:25 PM.